Wood ID in Southern CT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mryank9

Dec 2, 2013
Greater New Haven, CT
A tree in my yard that had been broken about 5 feet up and leaning finally came down a few weeks back. Cut it up today, but not sure what it is. No branches/leaves left on it. Attached a couple pics

Attachments

• Wood ID in Southern CT
    1205151524-768x1365.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Wood ID in Southern CT
    1205151525-768x1365.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 268
Does it have an odor? Looks a lot like poplar. I can't really describe the smell, but my father burned a lot of poplar when I was very young so to this day it is still THE smell that I associate with firewood lol. My father and grandfather cut a lot of poplar pulp logs for the paper mill back in the day and they would always fill the firewood trailer before wrapping up work for the day.

Looks like ASH to me.

This is some Connecticut ash from a standing dead tree. Look familiar?Wood ID in Southern CT

CT ash

Looks like fahrwood to me. Lots of BTUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.