Wood ID-I've heard 8 different types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
This tree has been down a while. It was a big sucker too. It stinks like piss oak. But I've been told it's cottonwood (really?), sugar maple, oak, hickory, and a sycamore. This stuff is a bit wet. I split this today. I bucked and split some of this tree in late spring and have burned it, and it burns pretty good.

Facts:

-it STINKS
-it's like a fiber core
-it's a pain in the ass to split, like pulling fingers apart
-whatever the rotted ring is called on outside is real light colored
-the trunk section I split were from 2-4 foot dia. rounds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 263
Looks like oak but do you have any more pictures? Of the bark would be helpful

Red oak has an aroma. Some find it rather nice. I think it's red oak or without seeing the bark some sort of oak

If you bucked and split less than a year ago and it burns good then it probably ain't oak. Cottonwood supposed to dry quick and stinks if I remember right. Don't have it around here that I know of.

The picture looks like red oak, as well as the description of the lighter colored sapwood just under the bark. The burns well throws me off a little if it's really that fresh.

Regardless, get to less than 20% MC and burn baby burn :p

It looks like it may have been standing dead so that could account for the short time to the stove

Standing dead could be the answer but still seems like a short time to dry to me. Does this wood throw good heat and burn long?

Most definitely Oak, its hard to say which type. A red or a white but its been "down" a long time. The bark is completely gone and the "sapwood" has completely rotted as well. The piss oak smell is exactly that.
I have one down in my woodlot right now. Last summer I was poking it and I found earthworms in the sapwood.

Well when I burned I threw it in with mega dry crap. My stove manufacturer says I can burn short dried wood as long as I mix it. So it wasn't super dry but it still burned evenly.

Last edited:
Most definitely Oak, its hard to say which type. A red or a white but its been "down" a long time. The bark is completely gone and the "sapwood" has completely rotted as well. The piss oak smell is exactly that.
I have one down in my woodlot right now. Last summer I was poking it and I found earthworms in the sapwood.
The core looks legit. It's hard as a rock. It's just that ring that's crap. I got a lot out of the cross section. I just posted a pic of what it looks like with the light ring. I'll post the bark.

Heres a small bit. I ran out with no shoes or shirt and took pic of first bark I saw.

Attachments

• IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 184
It was down in some bottom ground about 30 feet from a 16 acre CRP lake. Which accounts for the fungi growth.

What's best way to tell if it's red or white oak?

The light ring is the part of the wood that is alive. Or active...in the transport of water and nutrients.
Thats why its called SAPWOOD. This wood is vulnerable to disease attack and bug attacks and fungus attacks.
The sugars in the sap is attactive to alot of critters including yellow bellied sap suckers.
Which are on my Chit list.
When the tree weakens this outer portion is attacked and dies off alot quicker than the inside portion.

That bark looks like red or pin oak. Hard to tell since it is rotting, but white oak would have deeper and rougher bark.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
What's best way to tell if it's red or white oak?
The production of acorns is the primary distinction. The easiest way to tell is from leaves. Its easier for me to look up the leaves attached to the tree.
But Red Oak usually has 1" of light outer wood and a much larger portion of reddish inner wood.
About 10-12 growth rings of sapwood.(white)

With the bark and the pic of the heart wood I'll say red but I need leaves (and a book ;lol). Makes sense as you say it wasn't super dry.

Reactions: Applesister
Do you have a picture of the buds off it or from a similar tree where you found it? Every tree species has a unique bud/bud arrangement. Bark ids can be tough because the bark changes so much over the life of a tree.

Most people don't look at this bark and see silver maple.

What's best way to decipher hickory that's down? What's heart wood look like and bark?

Btw, I DL'd VT tree id app, it straight up doesn't id anything after I do inputs.

I would see silver maple from that bark, but of course we have one in my parent's yard that is as old as i am :)

Do you have a picture of the buds off it or from a similar tree where you found it? Every tree species has a unique bud/bud arrangement. Bark ids can be tough because the bark changes so much over the life of a tree.

Most people don't look at this bark and see silver maple.

No. Well, I could get a better pic but I'm in bed. Not getting up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.