Wood ID, May tree??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
Hey Ya'll, Been awhile sense I've been on hear. Been busy working. Just got this load of wood from my local tree guy. He called it a May tree. I've never heard of a May tree. When googled it says it's a hawthorn. Any guesses??? Thanks Pat

Attachments

• may tree 117.JPG
    may tree 117.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 153
  • may tree 116.JPG
    may tree 116.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 162
  • may tree 115.JPG
    may tree 115.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 160
  • may tree 114.JPG
    may tree 114.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 168
  • may tree 113.JPG
    may tree 113.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 135
Firewood tree!!!!!!!!

KC

Reactions: CageMaster
Hey Ya'll, Been awhile sense I've been on hear. Been busy working. Just got this load of wood from my local tree guy. He called it a May tree. I've never heard of a May tree. When googled it says it's a hawthorn. Any guesses??? Thanks Pat
The Brits called it that, it's a Hawthorn.

zap

Most dont get very big, 10-12" diameter & rarely over 40' tall,are distant cousins to apple,pear,cherries,plum,peach etc.Wood is quite hard,before 'modern' plastics & ceramics it was used for a variety of small household & kitchen items.Watch the thorns though,on certain species can be 2" long & as nasty as Honey Locust in the 'wild'.

Well thats good rite?? Hawthorn is good wood rite? Didn't see any thorns tho. Pat

Hawthorn is good wood rite?
I couldn't find a lot concerning the heat value, but what I did see indicates that it's good stuff.

I don't think that is a Hawthorn. I'd guess it is a Cherry. The leaves look just like the leaves on some of the non-native cherries such as Edible Cherry, and the bark resembles some of the ornamental cherries. I don't see any thorns on the twig and I think I see the characteristic light-colored marks that occur on cherries.

I'm not positive what it is but do not think it is a hawthorn. Leaf for sure does not look like hawthorn.

Mullberry??

hey cuber -

a way to reliably id a species is by the leaf scar. i looked around quick this morning for an online resource but couldn't find one. a field guide to trees (with pages and ink and glue and a cover) would be your best bet. if you have a macro function on your camera and post a closeup photo of the leaf and a leaf scar that would be helpful. the field scientists where i work can tell a species by the cell structure in the wood. i can do that on a couple of species but i'm not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.