Wood ID..photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
got some free please help ID leaves are growing out of stups. When split wood is very white .

Attachments

• woodid1.jpg
    woodid1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 288
  • woodid2.jpg
    woodid2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 280
  • woodid3.jpg
    woodid3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 266
  • woodid4.jpg
    woodid4.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 258
Additional photos

Attachments

• woodid4.jpg
    woodid4.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 248
  • woodid3.jpg
    woodid3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 266
willow

that soft wood ? how does it burn ?

Does look like willow. Poor firewood. I wouldn't go out of my way for it. I would make it real small and use for kindling if possible.

No doubt . . . willow . . . leaves help . . . that and the fact that it's sprouting out of the stump . . . willow is one of those trees that just doesn't want to die.

Technically, it's a hardwood, but it's a soft hardwood . . . a lot like poplar . . . meaning that it tends to burn up fast.

I don't burn a lot of willow, but will burn it if it's in my way or free . . . not the type of wood you want to rely on to get you through the night in middle of January . . . but ideal for this time of year and early in the Fall when you need a quick, hot fire to take the chill out of the air, but don't need a raging fire to burn for hours.

Without the pictures of the leaves this would have been a tough call. I don't look at the bark of willow enough to recognize it quickly. The leaves cinch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.