Wood ID please, driving me nuts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I am going to make some more racks too and truly get 3 to 4 years ahead so I don't have to use a moisture meter ever again.

That is the best plan!! IMO

There's a rule of thumb that wood dries twice as fast for every 20 degree (F) increase in temperature. Based on the monthly average temperatures for my area, that means the drop in MC over the course of a year looks something like this:

8438107162_707e9333de_m.jpg

So drying is dramatically faster in the summertime; one July is equivalent to almost five Januarys. Your sixteen months only include one summer, which isn't all that much time if drying conditions aren't ideal, e.g. sheltered / shaded / not covered. Sixteen months that began in the spring would be a lot better, because the wood would be drier to start with and you'd have 2 summers instead of one.

That Rule of Thumb doesn't really make that much sense.

So, at 20 degrees fahrenheit wood will dry twice as fast as at 0 degrees. Same goes for 200 degrees versus 180 degrees.

Plus, most on here say that wind is way more important than temp, and around here it is way more windy during fall, winter, and spring compared to summer.

I think you would have to do some sort of experiment to convince me that every 20 degrees in temp makes wood dry twice as fast. There would need to be a control at 100 degrees, then another at 80 degrees, and another at 60 degrees. They would need to be kept at those temps for quite a while and they would have to come from the same spot on the tree too. It would be a fun experiment though. Don't think I have the time or energy for it though.

So, at 20 degrees fahrenheit wood will dry twice as fast as at 0 degrees. Same goes for 200 degrees versus 180 degrees.
It's a rule of thumb, not a law of the universe. It's likely to be less accurate at extreme temperatures, but it's worth noting that wood does dry some even when it's very cold (well below freezing).
Plus, most on here say that wind is way more important than temp
That's generally true, up to a point. Wind can quickly dry off a stack of wood that's been rained on, and in still air, relative humidity immediately around the wood surfaces can build up and slow drying considerably; some air movement is necessary to keep the moisture leaving the wood moving away from the pile. That doesn't mean a 20mph breeze is twice is good as a 10mph breeze; it isn't.
I think you would have to do some sort of experiment to convince me that every 20 degrees in temp makes wood dry twice as fast.
Those experiments have been done; that's where the rule of thumb comes from. I'm parroting it from a professor of wood science who posts on another forum I participate in, and I think the same figure can be found in some government publications on wood processing. Anyhow, it's a widely used approximation.

most on here say that wind is way more important than temp
I don't recall that being said here. I have seen the statement that wind is more important than sun. I believe that the temp of the air is huge. I might have the time and energy to research that... ==c

There's a rule of thumb that wood dries twice as fast for every 20 degree (F) increase in temperature. Based on the monthly average temperatures for my area, that means the drop in MC over the course of a year looks something like this:

8438107162_707e9333de_m.jpg

So drying is dramatically faster in the summertime; one July is equivalent to almost five Januarys. Your sixteen months only include one summer, which isn't all that much time if drying conditions aren't ideal, e.g. sheltered / shaded / not covered. Sixteen months that began in the spring would be a lot better, because the wood would be drier to start with and you'd have 2 summers instead of one.
This is some great info thanks. I'll pass this on and the guys will think I'm very intellegent;)

I don't recall that being said here. I have seen the statement that wind is more important than sun. I believe that the temp of the air is huge. I might have the time and energy to research that... ==c

Yeah, I think you may be right. That wind is way more important than sun. Thing is, sun can raise a stack temp a decent amount. Put a thermometer in the shade and another in the sun and see what the difference is. So, sun does have a bearing on stack temp.

Thank you. I was so proud when I figured out how to plot that curve...

Jon,

Any chance you can give me some links to that study? I would be interested in reading something like that, seeing as how seriously I have been thinking about all this wood seasoning stuff lately.

I don't know precisely what studies established that rule of thumb, but I can give you a lead. See this thread over on Woodweb, specifically Gene Wengert's answer. You can contact Professor Wengert through that site; he's pretty good about answering questions.

The wood in the pictures is Black Willow, not Black Locust. Look at the width of the outer growth rings. No Black locust grows that fast when it is large. Black Locust grows fast when small but slows down as it gets larger. Black Willow (the common large, wild willow across the east) grows fast all its life. In addition to the growth rate, I don't think the wood has the right color for Black Locust.

The wood in the pictures is Black Willow, not Black Locust. Look at the width of the outer growth rings. No Black locust grows that fast when it is large. Black Locust grows fast when small but slows down as it gets larger. Black Willow (the common large, wild willow across the east) grows fast all its life. In addition to the growth rate, I don't think the wood has the right color for Black Locust.

I am doubting it is any sort of willow. The same size piece of this stuff is about as heavy, if not heavier, than an identical size piece of green oak. This wood really is dense. I cut down a dead weeping willow in the backyard when we first moved in and that stuff was about as dense as feathers.

It might not be black locust (which I think it is), but I seriously doubt it is any type of willow based upon its density. I'm going to let it season another full year and see if it gets down to the mid 20's.

I tend to agree with it not being black locust. I don't know what it is but I just bucked and split a cord of Black Locust in the last few days and that is not it. Pictures aren't always great for identification, but give us some end grain and more bark pictures.

My guess is Hickory ,and it is only a guess because there is just not much to go on in the photos.

My guess is Hickory ,and it is only a guess because there is just not much to go on in the photos.

Yeah, I am going to try to find the time to take some bark and cross section pics tomorrow. Hickory might be a possibility, but still amazed that it is 37% since it was stacked in September 2011. Hickory would explain why it is so heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.