Wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husky345 vermont resolute

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2012
london, ontario
Wood id

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 185
Not Oak, some sort of Maple maybe, not sure, but def not oak.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a Maple also from the darker heartwood color and the horizontal marks that Maple often has. That's some real gnarly bark on it for sure!

You'll smell right away if it is Sass. Looks a bit light to be Sass to me.

Black Locust?

+2 on Black Locust.

Could it be Siberian elm? That dark wood and fast growing rings matches. The bark is pretty rough, but I have seen it look like that in older ones.

Reactions: jeff_t
I agree BL or sass. Looks like BL bark, but heartwood should be more yellow than red. If it is very heavy, its likely BL. Sass is paper light especially when dry.

It does resemble BL, but I don't think so. Post a picture of splits stacked. BL is distinct in a stack.

That isn't Black Locust. Black locust wood has a differenet color and never has wide growth rings like the ones is the picture, at least not in a big tree. I think Siberian Elm is a good guess. The bark does look like Black Locust or Cottonwood, but lots of trees have similar bark, including Siberian Elm and most other elms, too.

Reactions: Lakeside
That isn't Black Locust. Black locust wood has a differenet color and never has wide growth rings like the ones is the picture, at least not in a big tree. I think Siberian Elm is a good guess. The bark does look like Black Locust or Cottonwood, but lots of trees have similar bark, including Siberian Elm and most other elms, too.
Black Locust can grow very fast. Around here if it has water (all trees in yards…) it will grow quick & have wide rings. The first Locust I got after moving to this area I thought was Cottonwood due to the wide rings. Luckily I was wrong :eek:.
The heartwood shows fairly yellow on my monitor, not dark enough to be Siberian Elm, at least from what I've seen around here. I've gone through several cords of each

Reactions: nrford
Third pic looks like tight grain. Maybe BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.