Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren

Dec 21, 2015
North Minnesota
I am thinking this is Maple but not sure. It splits harder than the Silver Maple that I am used to and it is heavier. Thanks!
Wood ID Please

Does it look similar to this?
Wood ID Please
I have some and it's cherry.

Could be maple. You have ash on bottom of the pile

The very top piece has a sugar maple vibe, but the one below has a black cherry vibe. Haven't had sugar maple in some years, but I don't recall it having color in the heartwood. When the splits dry out, if it's sugar maple and you crack them together it makes one hell of a noise. Sugar is fun and burns very well.

Thanks everyone! I wasn't thinking we had any Cherry here in Minnesota? Could be wrong. The bark does not look like what you posted, HisTreeNut. I am going back to get more of it over the weekend as it is fun to split and best thing about it - its free!

Cherry is good stuff too. Not to long to season like oak, and pretty good btu. Tons of it here in PA

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.