Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Haston

Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2006
Wood ID Please
bark like a pine, interior like walnut

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm stumped.

Whack it open and post a picture of the grain, looks kinda like Cherry?

Where is this tree? Got any more pics?

Where is this tree? Got any more pics?

Thank you, all for the replies. Tree was a wind victim here in Bethesda MD last week. County took away the top branches that were near the roadway. The trunk is about 60 feet long and straight as an arrow. The rounds are remarkably solid and heavy. The cherry Im familiar with are not nearly this straight and long. Thanks again for the helpful input.

Attachments

• Wood ID Please
    IMG_1078.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Wood ID Please
    IMG_1079.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 190
i'm guessing some kind of cherry.

Thanks for the pictures, always a huge help to ID wood! The white ring around the cutsides and the bark resemble Cherry, but the heartwood is darker than the usual Cherry, but it could be an ornamental tree but it sure resembles Cherry.

Does it have a sweet aroma to it like Cherry does?

Looks like cherry.

Looks like cherry.

I feel better that it's not immediately obvious. I can see it *might* be cherry, but it really is a huge, perfectly straight trunk and the wood is very dense (and heavy!). No smell that I can tell. I'll go back for the rest in the coming week or two, but most of it is lying in a rocky Drainage that is no fun running a MS271 in and there is quite a thicket of bramble to cut through. Here are two more close ups of the grain, if helpful. Again, thanks for the input. H.

Attachments

• Wood ID Please
    IMG_1083.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Wood ID Please
    IMG_1084.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 136
The bark could also be Horse Chestnut, but the interior doesn't look right for that. Its got me stumped (no pun intended).

I feel better that it's not immediately obvious. I can see it *might* be cherry, but it really is a huge, perfectly straight trunk and the wood is very dense (and heavy!). No smell that I can tell. I'll go back for the rest in the coming week or two, but most of it is lying in a rocky Drainage that is no fun running a MS271 in and there is quite a thicket of bramble to cut through. Here are two more close ups of the grain, if helpful. Again, thanks for the input. H.
If you had only shown me those two pics along with that description, I would've said walnut without thinking about it.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Those last two pictures look very much like Black Walnut. The bark in the first pictures doesn't look much like Black Walnut, but the dark wood does.

Either Black Walnut or Black Cherry can be tall and straight when they grow in the forest. There are plenty of tall, straight cherries around here.