1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood ID Please

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jlow, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlow

jlow Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sterling Heights, Michigan
    Deadfall cut today. It is wet and smells like horse manure!!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    Can't tell too much by stripped off bark but by the smell aspect it sounds like it might be old diseased Dutch elm. Was any of it stringy when split? Usually elm will be stringy but when it goes down it usually has already begun to break down.
  3. jlow

jlow Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sterling Heights, Michigan
    It really split quite cleanly. I didn't have to maul it. I just used the Fiskars and worked outside in. The bark came off like shucking an ear of corn.
  4. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Yellow Tulip.
  5. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I would also say Elm, I primarily use Elm due to it's availability. It does smell pretty bad. When it is already partialy seasoned it will split easy and clean.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    The colour under the bark and the way it fell off along with the smell does suggest Elm but the grain doesn't look like Elm. Everyone talks about how tough and stringy Elm is but not all Elm is stringy.

The angle of that one crotch piece also suggests the upward form of an Elm.

It could well be Tulip but since Tulip doesn't grow around here, I really can't say. The grain resembles some of the Poplar/Aspen I have and I've come across some real diseased stinkers in my time. Some smelled so bad that I regretted bringing it in the house after re-splitting it.
  7. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Think its elm especially with the bark missing! Should be on the yellow side.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Not being familiar with tulip . . . I can say the description of the stink of the wood and bark falling off and the color of the wood would make me think American elm. The look of the split wood without being all knarly and hairy is not typical elm-like . . . although some of the very dead standing elm I have split have split pretty cleanly . . . or at least a lot cleaner than splitting some of the live elm or not so dead elm.
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    2nd that tuilp
  10. Larix

Larix Member

Loc:
    Newark,OH
    I'd have to say Hickory. The inner core looks like the Bitternut that I split in March.
  11. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I think it is Elm as well, but not American Elm. By the grain, I would have to guess Chinese Elm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.