Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Hearth Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
Anyone know what this is?
WhatKindofWood1.jpg

WhatKindofWood2.jpg

Thanks! :cheese:

Grain looks like Red Oak, bark looks a little too smooth though. Branch or Trunk?

Werm said:
Grain looks like Red Oak, bark looks a little too smooth though. Branch or Trunk?
Looks too white to be red oak might be the camera making it look more red in the pics? It would have been a 20' log length with a diameter of 8-10"? Don't know if it was a branch or trunk.

Bigcube said:
Anyone know what this is?
WhatKindofWood1.jpg

WhatKindofWood2.jpg

Thanks! :cheese:

white oak

100% RED OAK........
Stank-smelling-take-forever-to-season........oak

WoodButcher

Looks just like Red Oak to me. Some Red Oak can be pretty red inside, but some is paler like the one in the pic.

I cut a log up that had bark like that, thinking that it was an oak. Soon as saw hit it I knew it wasn't. Was a really wet wood and under the bark was slimy. It was a poplar, arond my area they call it cucumber. It has moisture similar of an actuall cucumber. If you have that you will know it's soft . Just sharing one of my learnings. Hopefully you've got oak.

Yeah, thats definitely northern red oak (quercus rubra). limbs and small trees have bark like that.

red oak sure splits nice (usually)

WOODBUTCHER said:
100% RED OAK........
Stank-smelling-take-forever-to-season........oak

WoodButcher

I agree. Threw a split in the stove last night I cut and split last winter.....hissed and sizzled like crazy. Maybe next year.

Scarlet oak. As distinguished from red oak. Very similar.

Red Oak bark is smooth; White Oak is finer and not smooth. I have no idea about Scarlet Oak

Crazy as this will sound . . . At certain growth stages Quaking Aspen and Red Oak bark are similar. As stated above though, the slimeysheetz between the bark and the tree on an Aspen gives it away.

wquco2-brmed16270.JPG

This is the bark of scarlet. Hard to tell the difference a lot of times between red and scarlet without leaves and acorns.

In the fall, it's real sinchey. Scarlet oak leaves turn...well, scarlet.

wquco2-brdistant16870.JPG

12---Scarlet-Oak-720138.jpg

I have lots of red oak that I split last winter and spring. It sure does take a long time to season....and stinks! I am finding myself picking through the piles for smaller, more seasoned pieces. I had some that was seasoned 3 years and it was awesome. I guess I should have saved that for the colder months. Live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.