Wood ID PLease

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Feb 4, 2009
Northern ,IL
First pic Maybe Red Oak?? Splits easy
2 nd and third picture I don't have a clue Tuff to split standing dead

Attachments

• DSC02021.jpg
    DSC02021.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC02022.jpg
    DSC02022.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC02023.jpg
    DSC02023.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 273
very hard to tell. It looks like the picture is either washed out or the wood is punky. If I had to guess with just this information I would say some kind of maple. Thats a crap shoot. Take a different picture of a new split.

In the first pic of the split piece, ash comes to mind but looking at the logs its resting on that still have the bark Id say Black or Scarlet Oak ( both are red oaks). Wood Id from firewood is tough. The other 2 pics dont help much.

Hard to tell from the pictures
1 oak red

2 maple silver

2 red alm

I am fairly sure the 1st and 3rd are correct the middle looks alot like some I had last year

Pic's 2 and 3 are of the same wood
It was standing dead with no bark
No big deal I will split it and burn it

Tony H said:
Hard to tell from the pictures
1 oak red

2 maple silver

2 red alm

I am fairly sure the 1st and 3rd are correct the middle looks alot like some I had last year

# 1 sure looks like red oak to me. Based on #3, I would say the second two are Elm.

the_dude said:
Based on #3, I would say the second two are Elm.

#2 looks exactly like a load of Elm I split last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.