Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey All,

I was driving back from work today and saw a nice size pile of wood on the side of the road cut up into rounds about 2ft long with a sign that read FREE. I stopped and loaded it on minivan. Brought it home and cut it and split most of it. I was a nice find, just not sure what kind of wood it is. Anyone has any idea?

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 253
Need better pics, but for now it looks like mulberry.

Thanks All, I will take some in the AM and repost. Seems to be a Berry of some sort I reckon.

I'm guessing it will be dense, long-burning wood. Split and end-grain pics might help. Is the wood heavy? Does it look wet/fresh?

Looks a bit like beech to me - I've had a lot of funky beech splits that have bark similar to the pick. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.