wood ID w/ updated pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schwaggly

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
n.shore ma
I need some ID help. I'm hoping its SBH.
Does anyone think Wood ID should be a sticky and stay at the top? I think (that usually gets me in trouble) that instead of 10 wood id threads a day people could check the sticky and help with IDing. I'll run that idea by the suggestion box.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 505
there were some rocks in it

I think your pictures are a little too small and will make IDs tough. In particular, I don't see enough bark to really be sure what I am looking at (I go mostly by bark for internet wood IDs, some guys look at the wood, but I am not sure what they are looking at. In real life, leaves, twigs, and bark are the way to go.) Luckily, lack of information never stops anyone here from posting, so here goes - that does not look like Shagbark Hickory to me. The bark looks like a pine. Did it smell?

Not split yet I only got 2 rounds and they are in my trunk. I cut them 12" thick one weighs #175 the other #125 my back needs a rest right now.I take the car when I go on CL scrounges and if it's a bust I load what I can, If it's a jackpot my buddy and I go back with his trailer. We are going back saturday. Those 2 rounds were the only ones I could cut with my 18" bar the rest we will have to use a longer bar and we may have to slice and break off the big stuff.

I got the piney look from the side pic too. It is in no way shape or form any kind of pine. I'll get better pic sat.

Well, I think it is some flavor of pine, but really could use a better (higher up on the tree) bark shot, and a shot of a split would help as well.

( I think Lee is holding out on us, ready to pounce )

If Lee doesn't know, it must not be wood. Rick

From what I can see it looks like pine.

it's not a tumor! I mean it's not pine. Tight rings no leaves or needles. The bark had long sections that looked like banana peals coming off of it that broke off rolling it to my car. I'm fealing shagbark.

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 427
Now it looks like SBH. When was this cut. The picture up top doesn't look like this!

I agree the bottom pics are SBH and I have a lot of it cut and stacked in my shed. I did find this summer the left overs of powder post beetle's with the talcum powder dust left.

Shipper

woo hoo finally scored some SBH! The only bark was tucked inside a notch in the round the rest broke off on the roll to the car.

I guess I don't know my Hickory then. I went by the picture below as the posters pic looked like what I had.

Shipper

Attachments

• Shag Hickory.jpg
    Shag Hickory.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 369
definiteLEE said:
NICE,,, better pics!

Dat B silver maple. Some really old chit too! I'm guessin those are big topp limbs.

shoot I was hoping to score SBH. This is my second time I thought I had it. The search continues.

—"Call me Ishmael."—

Didn't see it in the first pics but I would have to say the split look very silver maple and the bark is the right look but a bit thicker than most I have seen. Its no hickory but it will keep you warm while you keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.