Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil'Dan

Jan 25, 2014
Kansas
I was told this might be hickory. I'm new at this so i have to take peoples word. Figured somebody on here could tell me for sure what it is.
IMG_0322.jpgIMG_0323.jpgIMG_0324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we get an end grain shot with bark?? Can not give you an answer from the three photos you have there.

3rd pic bark looks like maybe Hickory. Yes, I agree, we need an end shot to see the grain.

I think Hickories normally have a lighter sapwood and darker heartwood, giving the end a two-tones appearance. I googled some images to remind myself what hickory looks like, and I don't trust that any of the images I got were actually hickory. So that didn't help, but I am still going to say you do not have hickory. I am not sure what it is .

My best guess is Basswood, however the sawn ends do not appear fuzzy enough to be Basswood. I do not see Hickory there at all, reason being that the wood is all sapwood very little heart there at all, not something you see in hickory. Is the wood heavy or pretty light? I'm pretty much stumped.

It kind of looks like younger cottonwood to me. Especially in the photo of the split - the bark is starting to show that deep furrowing like older cottonwoods get. It's also a very pale wood inside from what I've seen...though I think it sometimes develops a slightly darker heartwood.

another thing that says "cottonwood" to me is that bark abrasion in the picture of the crotch piece - look how stringy the bark is. I've seen that on river cottonwoods along big rivers that get bashed up pretty bad by floating logs during the spring floods.

I'm leaning towards cottonwood too, but the bark doesn't look quite right and the groth rings look to tight. What does look right are the edges of the wood where it is split. Little frayed edges...

The split pic kinda looks like cottonwood, but all the cottonwood I've handled had bark that would chunk off, not fray like that. Seems too fiber-y to be cottonwood bark

Reactions: jeff_t
I agree with the duck, the hickory I cut was darker in the middle, bark is sort of similar but I don't think hickory looking at the wood.

Not seeing an "X" pattern in the bark for Pignut and Bitternut.

I would go with a Tilia species, if not basswood then one of those European lindens that are planted all over creation. 3rd pic in the original post strikes me most with this impression

Reactions: nrford
Status
Not open for further replies.