Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburke

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
Honeybrook Pennsylvania
image.jpg
Any one familiar with this. Splits easy half a swing with my fiskars will do it. Extremeley light not much smell kind of grayish heart wood. Just want to know what it is and if it's worth burning. I'll probably burn it either way just don't want to waste my time on the rest of the tree if it's junk. Thanks fellas.

Looks like the hard maple we get here. Very good burning wood if that's the case

Yellow Poplar(aka. Tulip) for sure.

No not always, esp. if it was standing dead as it looks like this one was.

I think it looks like two different trees. Green Ash and Quaking Aspen. lol.
The gray streaks are partial decomposition and the powdery inner bark is major bug infestation.
I'd toss it back in the woods.
Unless just the upper limbs look half rotted and the trunk looks solid.
I know Im being really helpful.

Burns easy and fast, no coals. Great for kindling if you cut it up small. Otherwise good for shoulder season.
I'm going to try that....split some small for starter wood. Never really burned any, even though there's lots here. If it burns up measurably faster than soft Maple, I wouldn't use it for loads unless, like you say, for shoulder chill-buster fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.