Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Got a mixed load with some mulberry and cherry

IDK pics
First 2 pics are same kind , 3rd is something else, same as piece with red dot and kinda light weight

Wood ID Wood ID Wood ID

Wood ID

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
First one is ash. Second locust, third maple. The ash has the little pin hole right in the center. Looks like some mulberry or Osage on the trailer also.

Cherry on first two, box elder on the third.

Cherry on first two, box elder on the third.
If that is cherry I don't know what kind ,It's definitely not black cherry, does not smell like cherry, there is some black cherry in the load but I didn't take pics of that.
Box elder ? I see no red
No flecks across the grain for any maple

Last edited:
Okay
Some more pics of the same stuff in pics 1 n 2
Smells a little like vanilla but not as sweet

Wood ID Wood ID

Wood ID

Wood ID

Last edited:
This last set of pictures look like Red Elm to me.
I have been thinking Elm because of the whiteish, silver, whatever bark and it smells like the other Elm I have, that was identified as American Elm

Agreed the last set look like red elm.

Siberian/Chinese Elm.
PS: The only photo of cherry is the one of the whole load still in the trailer.

Reactions: HDRock
Siberian/Chinese Elm.
PS: The only photo of cherry is the one of the whole load still in the trailer.
Wow, Siberian/Chinese Elm.
Yeah, I didn't take any pics of the cherry, or mulberry that was in the mix

That stripe right down the middle.

What about Chinese Elm for the other one?
I will split a bigger piece of the maybe box elder.
I somehow missed Chinese Elm answer :)

I think its Red Elm, or Slippery Elm. For once someone has posted some pics with bark that looks exactly like what grows here.
Ulmus rubra, final answer
I found it growing in my apple orchard and was totally paniced it was Siberian elm and I did a very thorough search.
If you score the bark with your chainsaw and soak the area in water it will exude a clear snotlike gel.

I think its Red Elm, or Slippery Elm. For once someone has posted some pics with bark that looks exactly like what grows here.
Ulmus rubra, final answer
I found it growing in my apple orchard and was totally paniced it was Siberian elm and I did a very thorough search.
If you score the bark with your chainsaw and soak the area in water it will exude a clear snotlike gel.
I wanted to say Red Elm, but the bark isn't like what I see here and the wood doesn't look stringy enough. Even down here, the leaves aren't well developed yet. "Twigs: Brownish, stout, hairy."
Not the best pic, but I never see the scoopy, Cherry-like ridges on the Reds here....
Wood ID

Wood ID

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies :)
I had some other elm with no bark, yard bird, that was extremely stringy, very hard to split, still have a couple rounds, I use for chopping blocks

I will split a bigger piece of the maybe box elder.
I somehow missed Chinese Elm answer :)

That's okay....for some reason I don't get much or any Elm here, so I am learning about it from the pictures that others post on here!

And you posted GREAT PICTURES for us to indentify your woods, clear and showing bark, grain and cutside-great job!

I had some other elm with no bark, yard bird, that was extremely stringy, very hard to split, still have a couple rounds, I use for chopping blocks
I happened to think, the bark could be different from what I see if it was a yard bird; I've seen only woods trees. On yours, the growth rings are pretty wide and the sapwood is thick.

Ulmus rubra
Wood ID
Wood ID

Wood ID
Wood ID

Wood ID

Last edited:
Red Elm from Mi. would not have that large of growth rings. Bark is not right for Red Elm. Wood is not right for Red Elm. CHINESE/SIBERIAN ELM

Red Elm from Mi. would not have that large of growth rings. Bark is not right for Red Elm. Wood is not right for Red Elm.
This from the guy that trimmed his house with Slippery Elm. ==c
CHINESE/SIBERIAN ELM
Book sez Siberian is sometimes nicknamed 'Chinese,' but that true Chinese is a different specie.

That's okay....for some reason I don't get much or any Elm here, so I am learning about it from the pictures that others post on here!

And you posted GREAT PICTURES for us to indentify your woods, clear and showing bark, grain and cutside-great job!

Thanks
I do know the value of the right pictures, still sometimes the camera can throw off the color

I happened to think, the bark could be different from what I see if it was a yard bird; I've seen only woods trees. On yours, the growth rings are pretty wide and the sapwood is thick.

Ulmus rubra
Wood ID
Wood ID

Wood ID
Wood ID

Wood ID

That looks similar to that other elm I had

Red Elm from Mi. would not have that large of growth rings. Bark is not right for Red Elm. Wood is not right for Red Elm. CHINESE/SIBERIAN ELM
Thanks again nrford :)

Reactions: nrford
Status
Not open for further replies.