Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darbycrash

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Elm, Hickory or Maple. Light brown in the middle. Bright white on the outsides. Fairly heavy. Slight smell, nothing strong like cherry or walnut.

Yes, that is a wood gasifier in the back of my truck. The vehicle runs on wood!

Attachments

• woodid5.jpg
    woodid5.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 333
  • woodid4.jpg
    woodid4.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 299
  • woodid3.jpg
    woodid3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 343
  • woodid2.jpg
    woodid2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 301
  • woodid1.jpg
    woodid1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: D8Chumley
Well ,I guess I'll be the first to jump in here. I have seen this before , not a great wood for btu's. I'm thinking tulip poplar .

How many miles per cord? I saw the guy on mountain men make one for his truck on one of the shows.

That's it , basswood , couldn't think of it yesterday . Like I said , not that great for burning . Ok for shoulder season , if that's all you can get your hands on.

How many miles per cord? I saw the guy on mountain men make one for his truck on one of the shows.

About 1 pound of wood goes 1 mile, however the guy on mountain mans vehicle probably wouldnt go more then 10 miles without tarring up the engine. That really was a "hollywood" production just enough to give you an idea of what gasification is. The units they built in the 40s were probably better than that version

Reactions: weatherguy
That's it , basswood , couldn't think of it yesterday . Like I said , not that great for burning . Ok for shoulder season , if that's all you can get your hands on.

Agree on Basswood. 2 more trees out there that are dead and in the way of the dead ash swamp. I guess they are going

About 1 pound of wood goes 1 mile, however the guy on mountain mans vehicle probably wouldnt go more then 10 miles without tarring up the engine. That really was a "hollywood" production just enough to give you an idea of what gasification is. The units they built in the 40s were probably better than that version

So a cord of wood gets you 3000 miles, roughly? That's insanely cheap compared to gas at least in my area, but I'd never pay more than $150 for a cord. I've seen it as low as $100.

So a cord of wood gets you 3000 miles, roughly? That's insanely cheap compared to gas at least in my area, but I'd never pay more than $150 for a cord. I've seen it as low as $100.

Precisely. However it needs to be processed into pieces the size of your fist and dried before it is good to go into the gasifier.