wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
This came down in a snow storm back in March. The tree was right on the edge of our yard bordering the forest. All along I thought it was some kind of birch.

But after splitting it, it seems more like big-tooth aspen. But, the leaves are not right for big-tooth aspen.

I don't have a photo right now of the leaves. They would be dead on the ground anyways.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180421_114820.jpg
    20180421_114820.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 393
  • 20180421_114951.jpg
    20180421_114951.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 446
  • 20180421_114925.jpg
    20180421_114925.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 384
The branches are laying on a bunch of Oak leaves, so It's an Oak. Some of the leaves are from a Black Oak and others are from Red Oaks. Kevin

Was this all from the same tree? The stuff in the wheelbarrow reminds me of Willow.

2nd vote for wheelbarrow wood looks like young Black Locust to me.

Crack one of those rounds in the wheelbarrow open so we can see what the grain looks like please....

The pics are all from the same tree. The first pic is the top of the tree, second splits, third rounds in the wheelbarrow.

It is definitely not black locust. I just split and burned a bunch of that this past winter. Not willow either. Leaves aren't right for that. I will try to find some leaves tomorrow, and post them.

Looks like some variation of poplar so I think you were on the right track. They can be tough to tell apart but are all pretty close to the same. I’ve got some with blistered white bark, some smooth gray bark, and some that are furrowed most of the way up.

looks like an elm to me...not sure however.

The pics are all from the same tree. The first pic is the top of the tree, second splits, third rounds in the wheelbarrow.

It is definitely not black locust. I just split and burned a bunch of that this past winter. Not willow either. Leaves aren't right for that. I will try to find some leaves tomorrow, and post them.

And/or crack a round open and post the grain please.

I need to stop trying to do these wood id’s on my phone. I think nrford is right it’s elm. Didn’t notice how stringy the split was at first.

Reactions: Lakeside
My first thought was Siberian Elm but the wheelbarrow pic throws me off a bit with the heartwood looking too light to be Siberian.

Any chance of this happening so we aren't left hanging wondering what it is?

Pic #2 is the split. The top part of the tree has started to leaf, even though it's just lying on the ground. I'll get a picture this weekend and post it.