wood Id!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

freesolo12

Oct 5, 2020
Chapel Hill
Hi, I am very new to this and I really want to learn what I am cutting! Cut this for a neighbor and bragged how I can split it by hand...I split one piece on my "tire table" and it split fairly well....
wood Id!
wood Id!
wood Id!

The center of that piece looks like heart pine. Could be yellow pine.

Bark looks like pine, sniff test of split would confirm.

Yes, heart pine has a very strong smell, like turpentine. And that rich golden colored wood in the center, if it is heart pine, the heart of the Southern Yellow Pine tree, it is called "fat lighter." Nothing better for starting a wood stove. Split it in to sticks about 1 inch diameter, it only takes two of those pieces to get the fire cranked up.

I'm also thinking pine. Also thinking yellow pine, but I only know it as lumber.

To test my theory, freesolo, split of one little piece of that golden yellow heart wood. Maybe a piece the size of a pencil.
And hold a Bic lighter under it for about 5 seconds. If it is heart pine it will light right up almost as though it was soaked in kerosene. Will burn hot with black smoke.

No need to dry heart pine it is just wood with hardened pine sap there is little, if any water in the heart pine.

Hi, I am very new to this and I really want to learn what I am cutting! Cut this for a neighbor and bragged how I can split it by hand...I split one piece on my "tire table" and it split fairly well....View attachment 264246View attachment 264247View attachment 264248
THANKS to all those who have replied....I do not think it is pine, when the tree was first down I remember gathering wilted leaves on branches I thought was sweetgum or maple. I found branches nearby and only maple looking leaves...is it possible it is old maple of some type? I tried the "lighter test" and it did not burn.

Attachments

• wood Id!
    unnamed (3).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 136
That last picture looks like black walnut. The first pic looks like yellow pine. I don't know what to say.