Wood ID!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Any idea what kind of wood this is? Thoughts?

Attachments

• woodid.jpg
    woodid.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 319
  • woodida.jpg
    woodida.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 345
  • woodidb.jpg
    woodidb.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 325
Ash or tulip need better close up! (of the small limbs)

There is 2 wood types. Guy is telling me Ash and Maple. Just wanted some confirmation before I head over there to get it.

could be young norway maple. Need better pictures. Looks very healthy for ash.

dannynelson77 said:
There is 2 wood types. Guy is telling me Ash and Maple. Just wanted some confirmation before I head over there to get it.

ok I was just looking at one type now that you pointed it out that look like ash for sure.

the dot in the center of the rounds in the first pic looks like ash to me.
The right top pic looks like it could be maple.
The bottom pic might be maple but that white splotch is not something I've seen before. Rain and wet ?

I have mostly cherry , pine and oak, so the few others I have here I need a leaf and book to ID.

The middle pic sure looks like ash and the 3rd could be hard maple it's hard for me to tell.

Picked some up last night. I am pretty sure the stuff in the pics is Norway Maple. I saw Ash, but it was still standing! :) The other wood which isnt pictured was Black Walnut. Wish it was Ash, but oh well I will take it. The guy I got it from wanted his rental property yard cleared. Well they cleared it except for the Ash. My guess is he got rid of the dirty trees! :)

Not sure why the middle pic is so much lighter than the other two pics. Maybe that one was taken in the sun? So that is the same wood in all 3 pics.

billb3 said:
the dot in the center of the rounds in the first pic looks like ash to me.
The right top pic looks like it could be maple.
The bottom pic might be maple but that white splotch is not something I've seen before. Rain and wet ?

I have mostly cherry , pine and oak, so the few others I have here I need a leaf and book to ID.

Sorry Bill, on the contrary, that dot in the center along with the white wood tells me it is maple. There is no doubt about the ash in the picture on the right. The bottom picture is too blurred.

So, maple and ash is what the man said it was and he knew what he was talking about.

Whats funny is I just talked to the guy I got the wood from just to let him know his Ash was really Black Walnut. He said oh sorry but the tree guy was pretty certain the wood with the dark centers was Ash for sure. I said....well White Ash is called white for a reason. :) Tree guy really knows his stuff huh? ha!

danny, that first picture is difficult to see because you can't see the bark. The second picture is difficult to miss. Unless your trees grow different in your neck of the woods, that surely looks all the way like white ash. Again, the third picture is too difficult.

Yea I dont know why that 2nd pic is so white because upon seeing it in person it looks EXACTLY like the stuff in pic 1 and 3. The bark on this tree is relatively thin with small ridges throughout. Exactly like a Norway Maple. Its very heavy too so I know its hard. All the Ash I have ever seen has thicker bark with deeper ridges.

where's this black walnut at? not anything in the pics above, right? maybe they are bad pics, but nothing up there looks like BW....

Correct. He did not take any pics of the BW. There is no mistake about that wood.

dannynelson77 said:
Correct. He did not take any pics of the BW. There is no mistake about that wood.
lol, just checking....

I would have said this looks just like Norway Maple, and the location - a rental property yard which I presume is in town - also is perfect for Norway Maple. The main problem would be the orangy color to the wood in the first and third pics. If you say it all looks simlar in person, I guess the color might be just a product of the camera. I cannot tell Norway Maple from White Ash by looking at pictures of rounds on the internet. The wood and bark look very similar to me.

Yes definitely a product of the camera. The wood in person is not that orange. Its definitely Norway maple. Thin ridged bark and its heavy. Considerably heavier than the Black Walnut.

The Ash around here seem to have much thicker bark unless of course it is a young tree.

dannynelson77 said:
Any idea what kind of wood this is? Thoughts?

The first picture looks like Beech. Photo below is of a small Beech.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0364-2.jpg
    100_0364-2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 168
It does from those rings in the pic. Rings are not there though. Again must have been product of the camera. its definitely not Beech bark on there......

dannynelson77 said:
It does from those rings in the pic. Rings are not there though. Again must have been product of the camera. its definitely not Beech bark on there......

Is it warming up in PA today, Saturday it's going to get close to 80 (Northern New York) if there forecast is correct.

zap

Sure is! Should be a great weekend to chop wood in the shade......

Status
Not open for further replies.