Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iod0816

Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2010
Someplace in WMass
Is this a locust? Had leaves like locust would, compound, across from one another, small. It also flowered in the beginning of spring.

Thanks!

Ian

Attachments

• IMG00029-20110604-1153.jpg
    IMG00029-20110604-1153.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG00030-20110604-1153.jpg
    IMG00030-20110604-1153.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG00031-20110604-1154.jpg
    IMG00031-20110604-1154.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 289
Black Locust

One more Yup. Black Locust.

Just thought it'd be heavier, like the shagbark and sugar maple I've been working with since its a hard hard wood... But great to know and thanks for the replies!

iodonnell said:
Just thought it'd be heavier, like the shagbark and sugar maple I've been working with since its a hard hard wood... But great to know and thanks for the replies!

bl doesnt hold much water. Awesome firewood.

Black locust really isn't all that heavy...because it's mostly wood...not mostly water...after being cut. Good stuff.

+ whatever on the BL, and also agree that it's lots lighter than hickory or hard maple because of the low initial MC. Trust me, it does the job in the stove, and nicely, too. However, given enough drying time, I prefer the other two, or beech and black birch when I can get my hands on them. Best thing about BL is how easy it splits for a super dense wood. Makes me feel like Tarzan with that little Fiskars.

Yup. Good stuff.

I'd suggest giving BL as much time as possible to dry fully- it's a good investment. Seems that the fibers are so dense that moisture leaves slowly. Be careful of BL's splinters- they tend to be long & strong & dangerous.

I'd never load a batch of purely BL into a stove; always a piece or two of more volatile wood (ash, maple, oak) to keep it well lit.

The thick, low-density bark may be throwing off the OP's estimate of density.

CTYank said:
The thick, low-density bark may be throwing off the OP's estimate of density.

I agree. That's one of the things I don't like about BL. Seems up to 10% of a load volume is thick bark, so you don't get the long burn you think you will. Beech and black birch have thin bark, so it's all basically high-test stuff going in the stove.

Last year I got a load of standing dead locust and I was able to easily peel the bark off outside at the processing area (stunk like hell). That made some nice sub-zero loads last January, but I still prefer the black birch, at least in my old stove. BTU charts don't tell the whole tale, how your particular stove digests it makes all the difference.

Yup. The bark is thick, but it falls off pretty easily too. One cord of it easily makes a couple yards of bark waste when splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.