wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Thought it was black locust but some pieces are real dark.. looks like chestnut?
Some of it def looks like my other locust but then I see this stuff and wonder... It was at the bottom of the pile and soaking wet, but didn't think its that dark just from water

Attachments

• IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 404
  • IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 395
Looks like oak to me.

I was thinking black locust before I read your post...just looking at the pictures. Still say BL...just weathered.

Yea, black locust, all wood turns grey in the stacks once it gets wet.

lukem said:
I was thinking black locust before I read your post...just looking at the pictures. Still say BL...just weathered.

I got 3 cords stacked if thats bl it will show in a couple days. Bl is as gray as can...Unless that has been setting in standing water for awhile.

Kinda crappy picture, but the stuff in front is locust, the stuff in the back is hedge. The hedge turns really dark orangish brown once it starts to weather. All of this was c/s/s in April-May this year.

Attachments

• hedgelocust.jpg
    hedgelocust.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 332
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

I got 3 cords stacked if thats bl it will show in a couple days. Bl is as gray as can...Unless that has been setting in standing water for awhile.

You're right- BL starts out a sickly greenish yellow and gets gray. Mulberry does what osage does to some degree and gets a richer color as it ages. Those thick rings look like mulberry as well. I dunno, could be a lot of other things.

Looks like BL...better pic of bark would help. Make a fresh split. How does it smell?

Adios Pantalones said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

You're right- BL starts out a sickly greenish yellow and gets gray. Mulberry does what osage does to some degree and gets a richer color as it ages. Those thick rings look like mulberry as well. I dunno, could be a lot of other things.

Yea thats much to dark for bl even fresh split the color off a lot. Osage or Mulberry I think your on the right track. Osage likes to grow with bl.....

Adios Pantalones said:
The only hedge I ever saw in MA (where Iceman lives) were the few that I planted, and the bow staves I procured myself out west. Mulberry is uncommon, but does grow there.

I think I might have a couple bl bow stock in the dinning room lol, (20 some bowl blanks too) There over a year old waxed and still yellow in color.

Looks like a mix in the left pic, definitely bl in the right, from color, bark, end grain.

more pictures...
some of it looks like bl ( like the other stuff i got) but some is dark as you can see.
wood guy swears it all came from the same tree and he thought it was def bl or honey.. it was cut in june and left in a big pile until 3 days ago... some is getting lighter but not super light like the others.. we did get a ton of rain since it was delivered so maybe thats it?

Attachments

• IMAG0549-1.jpg
    IMAG0549-1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 302
another pic

Attachments

• IMAG0546.jpg
    IMAG0546.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 275
I have cut alot of bl never seen it that dark ever. Again hedge looks like and grows in the same area as bl.

Fresh cut bl Trunk wood. Turns grey in weeks. Dont mean I am right, to me looks like hedge and nothing wrong with that!
If I was looking for hedge only I will look in just a couple 100 yards of bl patch.

Attachments

• id 2.jpg
    id 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 316
  • id.jpg
    id.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 287
and some more

Attachments

• IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMAG0536.jpg
    IMAG0536.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 272
and another

Attachments

• IMAG0530.jpg
    IMAG0530.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 305
And another

Attachments

• IMAG0539-1-1-1.jpg
    IMAG0539-1-1-1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 286
I'm saying Honey Locust.

It was wet as some sides were dark and light, as I was digging through the pile..
Its black or honey.. I hope its hedge but that stuff isn't native here in mass, mulberry is rare so it could be... When I resplit some they were greenish yellow and had a funny smell ...lol... At first I thought maybe a line went on hyd. Splitter

iceman said:
It was wet as some sides were dark and light, as I was digging through the pile..
Its black or honey.. I hope its hedge but that stuff isn't native here in mass, mulberry is rare so it could be... When I resplit some they were greenish yellow and had a funny smell ...lol... At first I thought maybe a line went on hyd. Splitter

Yea the only thing that would make it dark like that would be soaking in water should light up if you stack it.

The only BL that looks like the BL I was Splitting today is in post # 15 Wher is hedge native to in the 30s gov't had it planted all over Texas and Okl. to help prevent the dust storms and erosion." shelter belts" they are called.

cptoneleg said:
The only BL that looks like the BL I was Splitting today is in post # 15 Wher is hedge native to in the 30s gov't had it planted all over Texas and Okl. to help prevent the dust storms and erosion." shelter belts" they are called.

Same here!

Status
Not open for further replies.