wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
My MIL's neighbor cut this tree down when clearing her ditch banks. Not sure what it is. He said it's burr oak, kinda looks soft to me. I haven't split any of it yet.

Attachments

• 011402_1310[00].jpg
    011402_1310[00].jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 473
  • 011402_1310[01].jpg
    011402_1310[01].jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 446
Very possible could be oak. Hard to tell from those pics. The growth rings look like oak but not so sure on the bark. A split may help. Resembles ash though too.

The second picture is a pretty clear picture of the cut end grain and I do not see medullary rays, which all oaks have. I conclude it is not oak. Not sure what it is. A wider shot of the bark would make it easier to tell if it is Hackberry, which has distinctive bark.

I guess hackberry too !!!

Thanks for the quick replies! i'll get a couple more shots tomorrow if i can get out there. I have a couple more tree pics for id's tomorrow too. And welcome aboard hickorynut.

I say hackberry too. I just finished burning all the hackberry I had last week. Switched from burning hackberry and red maple to black locust. The hackberry burned fine and better than the red maple.

For sure Hackberry!

Yep, looks to be like Hackberry. That rough bark is the first call out.

Sorry guys. That's no Hackberry like I've ever seen. The bark is close but not correct. Hackberry has corky protrusions. I see scaly bark in the picture. Hackberry is also the whitest wood of all hardwood specimens in North America. I see a tan/light brown coloring, and even a darker heartwood.

I'm not for certain what it is though. :(

It's not birch or spruce.
I vote soft maple.

I believe it is a Nannyberry also called Blackhaw or Sheepberry. Grows along ditches and forest edges. Never gets very large about 8" max. Medium hard, burns well when dry.

Smell it - if it is oak you will know for sure. Most wood has a distinct odor and can be easily identified with it. Oak with smell tangy and bitterish - if that makes sense - hickory has a sweeter smell, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.