Wood in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all dose anyone store wood in a finished basement. I would like to bring in a weeks worth or so. And to fill up my wife's great grandfather's wood that sits by the hearth. I'm just worried about ants and termites

Hello all dose anyone store wood in a finished basement. I would like to bring in a weeks worth or so. And to fill up my wife's great grandfather's wood that sits by the hearth. I'm just worried about ants and termites
Not a finished basement but shouldn't make a difference. I keep about a weeks worth of wood in a unfinished basement and have never had an issue. If I bring in wood before it freezes I get the occasional spider, once it gets cold out I don't see anything. Wood is messy and that would make me think about how much finished area I would want exposed to wood.

A search would result in multiple ideas.

I have 6.5 cords stored in a poured room in my basement that was designed for the use. Direct shot thru an overhead door but with a set of double doors into the unfinished shop.

I’m more pissed at the mouse I saw last night scurrying into the woodpile. No mice ever in the house. I’ll get that little crapper next weekend.

Same latitude here.
If the wood is good and dry, and has been stored indoors or under cover (garage, leanto, shed), then no critters here that we've seen. I brought some wood in last week from outside, as in, from the outside exposed wood piles - outside, not covered, some touching near the ground - kind of damp, but ok - we got a couple ants (two) in the house. Thinking don't want to start that kind thing, may change up the way that's handled in the future.
Our current years supply is stored just outside the back door in an attached garage. Been there since August. It gets hot in there. Ants leave. Dry, no bugs. Mice, yes along with frosty nights, but the cat spends time in the garage too, so in the end, mice, no.

Last edited:
Same latitude here.
If the wood is good and dry, and has been stored indoors or under cover (garage, leanto, shed), then no critters here that we've seen. I brought some wood in last week from outside, as in, from the outside exposed wood piles - outside, not covered, some touching near the ground - kind of damp, but ok - we got a couple ants (two) in the house. Thinking don't want to start that kind thing, may change up the way that's handled in the future.
Our current years supply is stored just outside the back door in an attached garage. Been there since August. It gets hot in there. Ants leave. Dry, no bugs. Mice, yes along with frosty nights, but the cat spends time in the garage too, so in the end, mice, no.

Is there any way to check for aunts before I bring it in

Could I store it In rubbermaid totes. I could load it out side bring it in the house and not remove the lid until im ready to burn.

Is there any way to check for aunts before I bring it in

Yes. Look around to see if there are any uncles. Usually the aunts come in with the uncles.

In the fall (late October early November) we
stack 5 to 6 Cord in the basement have been doing it
for 40 years. Never had a bug problem (Old square timber farmhouse)
The biggest benefit is the wood is close to the furnace
dry and warm

I store my wood on the first floor living room so a finished area. Knock on wood never had issues with bugs I keep about 3 or 4 days worth. Most of the ants I get when doing firewood I leave those pieces in the wood lot to go on the burn pile. Those pieces are usually rotted or sawdust when I buck the tree. It would take a large amount of room to keep a whole weeks worth of wood in my house. It would be close to a face cord.

Most critters want damp wood, once dry they do not mess with it. Carpenter ants want wet wood, they will leave quickly once split and dry.

Reactions: KpR
I keep a small whisk broom in my back pocket when I am transferring wood from my outdoor stack to the inside. I use it to whisk off each piece before putting it in the wheelbarrow. It both cleans off the splits of leaves and loose splinters, but also any bugs.

I keep a small whisk broom in my back pocket when I am transferring wood from my outdoor stack to the inside. I use it to whisk off each piece before putting it in the wheelbarrow. It both cleans off the splits of leaves and loose splinters, but also any bugs.

That's anal for sure.

That's anal for sure.
Wasn't there a video about designer wood and how to prepare it?
Too nice to burn at some point (and sells for big bucks).

Some buddy has way to much time on their hands

Don't sweat it my hearth looks like this for at least 5 to 6 months,spray the perimeter monthly with Ortho home defense,never had a problem and we live in the woods ,with 22000 acres as our backyard with every creepy crawly you can imagine. Five year old cherry sweet shoulder season wood. hearth.jpg

Back in the 50’s and 60’s people had these honeymoon logs that were placed into the fireplace. My folks had a set of birch logs in the FP.
Years later a girl I went to school with had the same set up. Her now husband who was the brother of my best man offered to start a fire and yes... he burnt the honeymoon logs of his new girlfriend at Christmas getting the fire started.

Reactions: moresnow and Sawset
I think it was posted recently but for those that missed it:

Reactions: Sawset
Need to watch out, strange creatures lurk in wood piles (and wood carts).

Attachments

• Wood in the house
    1104191952a.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Wood in the house
    1104191958.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 193
Need to watch out, strange creatures lurk in wood piles (and wood carts).
Dam I got 3 of those strange creatures
But they do take care of an small critters that come in this time of year

I bring a weeks supply into my finished basement every week, haven't had a problem in 11 years.

Wood stored indoors? Yessir. Gawd forbid the place burns. Firefighters may as well bring smore fixins and hot dogs:cool:

Wood stored indoors? Yessir. Gawd forbid the place burns. Firefighters may as well bring smore fixins and hot dogs:cool:
With that comment, I presume your house is totally fireproof only concrete stone and fireproof==c everything !!