Wood Insert and Oliver North

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
I don't have shredder. In the summer I typically use personal paperwork that is garbage (old tax returns, bank statements, stuff with mine or the wife's SSN, etc.) to get fires going. I just did a whole bunch of housecleaning recently and have a good amount of old stuff that should be destroyed. One summer I remember that I had a raging fire in my outdoor pit and threw a stack of papers on it (probably too many) and soon had embers floating through the sky. Thus, I started only to burn a few at a time and only to get a fire started.

Now burning 24/7 inside, so no need to use paper as a starter. Is there anything wrong with throwing in some paper when I refuel or will I have glowing paper embers floating up the chimney, or, will I be contributing to the chemical buildup in liner? I'm perfectly happy to wait until next summer and get rid of it outdoors, but if there's nothing wrong with burning a bit at a time, I might do that. Thoughts?

chutes said:
I don't have shredder. In the summer I typically use personal paperwork that is garbage (old tax returns, bank statements, stuff with mine or the wife's SSN, etc.) to get fires going. I just did a whole bunch of housecleaning recently and have a good amount of old stuff that should be destroyed. One summer I remember that I had a raging fire in my outdoor pit and threw a stack of papers on it (probably too many) and soon had embers floating through the sky. Thus, I started only to burn a few at a time and only to get a fire started.

Now burning 24/7 inside, so no need to use paper as a starter. Is there anything wrong with throwing in some paper when I refuel or will I have glowing paper embers floating up the chimney, or, will I be contributing to the chemical buildup in liner? I'm perfectly happy to wait until next summer and get rid of it outdoors, but if there's nothing wrong with burning a bit at a time, I might do that. Thoughts?
So how did your stove hold up during the cold spell?

Rich L said:
So how did your stove hold up during the cold spell?

Fantastic. I'm still only getting about 3 1/2 hours burn max, but last night seemed to find the right air adjustments and saw a real nice burn going. Even after 7 hours at night, I wake up to some beautiful coals, put small splits on and the fire is roaring again in no time. Haven't used any of the downstairs thermostats at all, and only set the 2 zones upstairs to 64 so they kick on during the overnight. Not sure at what point they kick on though, but since I'm getting a good 3.5 hours before I see the temp dip, I assume that they don't kick on until 4.5 or 5 hours into my sleep. Which means that - so far - I'm using 2 zones for 4 hours per day, as opposed to last year when I was using 4 zones for 24 hours a day. My oil tank was filled in late September (before the price dropped, of course), but I'm still at 3/4 a tank. Very nice.

chutes said:

I have had this issue. The answer is yes, burning paper can be drafted up the chimney if you throw it on top of the load. It's especially fun to watch at night as they settle down onto your asphalt shingles. If you first put it on the coals, then put your heavier fuel on top of the papers, it works okay and the paper stays put until burned. A little bit at a time is the key, just a few sheets with each reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.