1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood insert (and problems) came with the house

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by stamello, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Well, not what we were hoping for (or expecting, but who can judge from photos?), but you have a solution.

Depending on budget, I'd seriously consider removing the chimney. You could replace it with a masonry stack (liner inside), a framed chase (metal chimney inside), or nothing at all (put class-A outside house). Why keep the chimney, unless the budget dictated you must?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    If you ask me it would look horrendous to have a Class A chimney attached to the outside of a brick chimney.

As they say on that tv show that leaves people with huge tax debts after they get done fixing up the place..... Tear that thing down!

You might be able to resell the bricks or use them elsewhere.
  3. stamello

stamello Member

Resurrecting an old thread, but I had other projects and haven't messed with this for almost a year. Until yesterday...
    I climbed the chimney, got a 12 foot pipe and sledge and smashed out the ledge from the top. I now have a 6.75 square ID all the way down the chimney.
    Unfortunately, i also have about a 1 for square section of studs and plywood in the chimney right at the point where the clay tile meets the old chimney. Looks like the mortar shelf I smashed out was stuck directly to the upstairs wood.
    What about one of those asbestos heat shields on that section combined with a dura vent solid liner?
  4. bob bare

bob bare Minister of Fire

Loc:
    park county montana
    Might want to consider micafil repair.
  5. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Id be planning a tear down, at this point. I would just never get comfortable with wood in the chimney, no matter how it's lined.
  6. Jim.od3@gmail.com

Jim.od3@gmail.com Member

Loc:
    Portland, OR
    I want to thank you for posting about your "challenges" with this chimney. It's been very educational. I am sorry you are having these problems, and I commend you for tackling them head on.
    -Jim