Wood Insert - Lopi Medium Flush Mount NexGen-Fyre

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

putdownfox

Aug 14, 2020
Pottstown, PA
Hi all - I am new to the forum and have been doing a ton of research trying to find a wood burning insert that will work for my current set up. I just got a quote from a local company to install a medium flush mount nexgen-fyre in my masonry fireplace. Does anyone have any experience with this unit - are there any recommendations on a better unit for my situation?

I think I'd prefer to go with the large version of this unit (my house is 2800 sq ft), but my fireplace is approx 30 5/8 inches wide, and the large unit requires a 32 inch opening. The medium unit requires 30 7/8 inch opening, but the seller said they can shave back the brick a little bit or install a reveal around the unit so it doesn't have to be pushed all the way in. Do you think it's feasible to cut back the brick enough to accommodate the larger version? Just behind the face brick the firebox does get wider - 35 5/8 wide (see pictures).

The cost breakdown is below - can I do better than this?

Unit - 3400
Liner w / insulation - 600 (they are including the insulation for free this month)
Installation - 800
Electrical box installation in back of fireplace - 200
Clean existing chimney prior to install - 150

So total I'm right around 5150.

I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• PXL_20200922_202938020.jpg
    PXL_20200922_202938020.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 255
  • PXL_20200925_213231746.MP.jpg
    PXL_20200925_213231746.MP.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 244
  • PXL_20200925_213241579.jpg
    PXL_20200925_213241579.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PXL_20200926_145953877.jpg
    PXL_20200926_145953877.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 252
  • PXL_20200925_213221789.jpg
    PXL_20200925_213221789.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 267
Price sounds reasonable. If they are going to cut back the face brick then would the 32" wide larger unit fit? Or does depth become an issue?

Price sounds reasonable. If they are going to cut back the face brick then would the 32" wide larger unit fit? Or does depth become an issue?
I just remeasured the opening and I'm at 30 3/4 in - The medium unit needs 30 7/8in. I think they said they can cut the brick back slightly to fit the unit, but my thought was if they were going to cut the brick at all, just cut back enough to accommodate the larger unit instead. I just double checked the minimum for the large flush unit and its 33", not 32". The seller is stopping out to confirm everything tomorrow so I will ask him what he thinks of that. He said the larger unit is probably 500-800 more expensive, but if I'm going to spend this kind of money I might as well get the size I want. They would need to cut 1 1/4 inches from both sides to fit the larger unit. I'm not sure if that impacts anything structurally thought.

I'm glad they will be doing a site visit. The face brick is not structural. It's the same difference whether they cut off 1/2" or 2".

The site visit went well - He can install the unit in my fireplace without doing any cutting of the brick, but the larger flush mount is a NO GO. He's going to hardwire the unit into my basement through the hole already in the fireplace. The hole currently has a gas line running through it that allows me to easily start a fire in the current open fireplace. This will be the nexgen unit, which doesn't have the catalyst.

Based on my fireplace, it looks like the below inserts might be the best options for me. My goal is the largest firebox possible, and the largest viewing window. Heat is also a consideration but this is only supplemental.

Lopi Medium Flush Mount Nexgen - 2.2 CF firebox - Quoted 5150 installed with an insulated liner and hardwired electric
Osburn Matrix - 2.4 CF firebox - Would have to look around for a dealer to get a quote
Enerzone Destination 2.3i - 2.4 CF firebox - Would have to look around for a dealer to get a quote
Regency Pro Series CI2700 2.6CF - Quoted approx 6100 over the phone

Opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

It's interesting that for the rect door the specs list it at 2.0 cu ft on the website but 2.2 in the manual. But also I note that when one downloads the rect door manual you get the hybrid fire medium manual. The arched version has the NexGen manual and 2.2 cu ft spec.. Maybe the website isn't quite ready yet or is out of date. The Osburn and Enerzone are siblings from the same SBI parent. They have a good record and have a deeper, squarer firebox that doesn't pinch down in the back. Might as well throw the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 insert in with the search. It's also a flush non-cat.

Note that whatever they install, there will need to be a switch in the room to turn off the insert circuit.

Last edited:
It's interesting that for the rect door the specs list it at 2.0 cu ft on the website but 2.2 in the manual. But also I note that when one downloads the rect door manual you get the hybrid fire medium manual. The arched version has the NexGen manual and 2.2 cu ft spec.. Maybe the website isn't quite ready yet or is out of date. The Osburn and Enerzone are siblings from the same SBI parent. They have a good record and have a deeper, squarer firebox that doesn't pinch down in the back. Might as well throw the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 insert in with the search. It's also a flush non-cat.

Note that whatever they install, there will need to be a switch in the room to turn off the insert circuit.
Just looked into the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 and it needs a 34 in. opening - I'm at 30.75 unfortunately. It looks like a nice unit.

Seems they just converted back from the hybrid with the cat back to non-cat.

The site visit went well - He can install the unit in my fireplace without doing any cutting of the brick, but the larger flush mount is a NO GO. He's going to hardwire the unit into my basement through the hole already in the fireplace. The hole currently has a gas line running through it that allows me to easily start a fire in the current open fireplace. This will be the nexgen unit, which doesn't have the catalyst.

Based on my fireplace, it looks like the below inserts might be the best options for me. My goal is the largest firebox possible, and the largest viewing window. Heat is also a consideration but this is only supplemental.

Lopi Medium Flush Mount Nexgen - 2.2 CF firebox - Quoted 5150 installed with an insulated liner and hardwired electric
Osburn Matrix - 2.4 CF firebox - Would have to look around for a dealer to get a quote
Enerzone Destination 2.3i - 2.4 CF firebox - Would have to look around for a dealer to get a quote
Regency Pro Series CI2700 2.6CF - Quoted approx 6100 over the phone

Opinions are welcome!

Thanks!
Why large insert is no go? I have Large flush insert and i would go bigger if I could. I understand your situation and would consider all options to get large one. It actually doesn't have to be completely flash with the wall . Mine sticking out about one inch and looks just fine. My daughter just installed the same unit, had the same problem and they went with faceplate that allows another 1 1/2 inch. This faceplate not flash, it has a lip around it, covering the space between stove and a wall. Ask your installer if he is aware of this kind of plate. It made by stove manufacturer Travis and just $100 more. Actually, your stove position would not give you much of a side view anyway.

Why large insert is no go? I have Large flush insert and i would go bigger if I could. I understand your situation and would consider all options to get large one. It actually doesn't have to be completely flash with the wall . Mine sticking out about one inch and looks just fine. My daughter just installed the same unit, had the same problem and they went with faceplate that allows another 1 1/2 inch. This faceplate not flash, it has a lip around it, covering the space between stove and a wall. Ask your installer if he is aware of this kind of plate. It made by stove manufacturer Travis and just $100 more. Actually, your stove position would not give you much of a side view anyway.
What size opening did she have it installed in? My current opening is 30.75 in. The large unit says it requires a 33 in opening. The unit itself measures 31" across, but even pulling the unit out a few inches doesn't look like it would work based on the face that the front of the sides are 9.25 inches before they start to taper off.

1601383550332.png

What happened with the idea of cutting back the face brick to gain the full opening size?

What happened with the idea of cutting back the face brick to gain the full opening size?
The face brick is 2 bricks deep, and possibly structural. Here are some pictures. What do you think?

Attachments

• PXL_20200929_155720096.jpg
    PXL_20200929_155720096.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 258
  • PXL_20200929_155710533.jpg
    PXL_20200929_155710533.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 212
  • PXL_20200929_155654058.jpg
    PXL_20200929_155654058.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 184
  • PXL_20200929_155645723.jpg
    PXL_20200929_155645723.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 176
  • PXL_20200929_155545208.jpg
    PXL_20200929_155545208.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 185
  • PXL_20200929_155534864.jpg
    PXL_20200929_155534864.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 208
Had another chimney company come out and said they could grind back the sides to accommodate the larger unit - I have another place coming out tomorrow so I'll confirm with them as well.

Had another chimney company come out and said they could grind back the sides to accommodate the larger unit - I have another place coming out tomorrow so I'll confirm with them as well.
Hope they have a capable vac system! Could get downright dusty.

Hope they have a capable vac system! Could get downright dusty.
Will get a few more opinions - I found this place on thumbtack app and i can't find much information on them elsewhere. They have 3 reviews (all positive). They quoted me 2500 to take back the brick, and do the complete install including the insulated liner. I would have to get the Stove.

The question I guess is how wide is the lintel angle iron.

The question I guess is how wide is the lintel angle iron.
yes that is the question

New option - went to check out the shadowbox version of the lopi flush mount (they only had the large unit on display), and noticed that the blaze king Sirocco 25 looks almost identical to the Lopi Large Flush mount and would fit my opening. They also have the Ashford 25 in MetallicBlack or Cast Gray, which is a little more traditional of a look. My wife likes the Ashford better. What kind of a difference will I see in the view of the fire between Lopi non-cat vs blaze king cat?

1601422518965.png1601424056116.png

How will the insert be used mostly? Night and weekend fires. Mostly for ambiance or 24/7 heating?

How will the insert be used mostly? Night and weekend fires. Mostly for ambiance or 24/7 heating?
Last year I had the open fireplace and ran it 3-4 times per week mostly lighting a fire after dinner and keeping it going into the evening. Enjoyed just tending to the fire and warming up next to it. It did go through wood very quickly, and my gas bill was higher than expected. I learned that it was just pulling heat from my house and pushing it out the chimney. So I wanted to look into something more efficient but still allows me to enjoy the fire.

A cat stove is very good at providing steady heat, especially at low output. They are good for 24/7 heating, especially in milder weather. This doesn't sound like how the stove will be used. A non-cat will be a simpler design for this application. The upside is fewer parts, lower maintenance and a nicer fire view.

A cat stove is very good at providing steady heat, especially at low output. They are good for 24/7 heating, especially in milder weather. This doesn't sound like how the stove will be used. A non-cat will be a simpler design for this application. The upside is fewer parts, lower maintenance and a nicer fire view.

Decisions decisions. I like the deeper fire box and the look of the Ashford and sirocco. I wish there were some videos out there of these units in action but I haven't had any luck. I can't believe blaze king doesn't have any videos either.

Here is one of the Princess burning. Nice looking fire on high, decent on medium, dull glowing coals on low.

Last edited:
Hey could you expand on the large Lopi insert. I’m between the medium and large. The seller I talked to tier said a large would be way too hot for my room. I live in a split level where the stove would be on the bottom floor. I’d need to move air around or else the den will be cooking way too hot. I’m really unsure between medium and large for my 2400 sqft house.

Is your den completely enclosed? What is the floor plan? A couple of pictures would help.