Wood is up for winter 24-25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kman2478

Jun 15, 2019
Cape Neddick,Maine
Just wrapped up splitting and stacking 4 cord, mostly red oak, it will sit for 2 years. Next year's wood is stacked on the right.

Wood is up for winter 24-25 Wood is up for winter 24-25 Wood is up for winter 24-25

Good Lord. I like you. Can I come up and pick up a few truck loads?

Reactions: Kman2478
Wow that’s impressive! Nice and neat too.

@Kman2478 I like your racks, did you buy those ends or make them? Mine's cut and split but my stacks aren't as neat as yours. One steel rack I have is a scrap frame from when they ship a tractor.

Last edited:
WOW! $50 per rack plus the cost of the 2x4's to hold a face cord. I'm too cheap for that! It's off to the scrap yard or any place I can scrounge some steel.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I built many of mine on patio bricks and PT 2x4’s with T post ends. Yes initial investment but looks neat and will last for years. Got some stacks on free pallets also.

Beautiful job, who makes the end pieces, and do you use pressure treated 2x4's , nicest set up i've seen. What length 2x4's , THX
Thanks a lot! I got them at home Depot, they were cheaper a few yrs ago believe it or not, I think $35 a pair, not super cheap, but I like the way they look. PT 2x4x16's so 3 racks equals 2 cord. Each rack is 2/3 of a cord

@Kman2478 I like your racks, did you buy those ends or make them? Mine's cut and split but my stacks aren't as neat as yours. One steel rack I have is a scrap frame from when they ship a tractor.
Thanks! I got them from home Depot. I think when I got them a few years ago they were only $35 a pair. Not cheap by any means, but it's like the way they look.

Reactions: Wildflush
Go for it! Post pics!
Do you run into any issues with settling once the ground thaws? I notice the bottoms are fairly small. I rack similarly but with cinder blocks and 2x4s and run into issues every few years. If I get a leaner I tend to just prop it up with 2x4s until it's time to use rather than restack. One of my goals in the next few years is to upgrade the land I'm using to gravel to avoid these issues. Each rack is 2 cords (1 cord x 2 connected).

Wood is up for winter 24-25

Do you run into any issues with settling once the ground thaws? I notice the bottoms are fairly small. I rack similarly but with cinder blocks and 2x4s and run into issues every few years. If I get a leaner I tend to just prop it up with 2x4s until it's time to use rather than restack. One of my goals in the next few years is to upgrade the land I'm using to gravel to avoid these issues. Each rack is 2 cords (1 cord x 2 connected).

View attachment 309660
It seems to be minimal. My area that I stack is packed down pretty good with crushed stone and gravel. If I set up a rack, and it's a little wonky, I'll shim it where needed.

Judging by what I've burned this year the wood that I stacked for 24-25 might be for 25-26-27 if this warming continues. Stove has been cold for a few days, just lit it as it has dropped into the 40's predict high 20's tonight. Then it's be warm again by next week. Crazy swings in temperature every day. Daffodils are in full bloom I see the cherry trees in DC are blooming.

WOW! $50 per rack plus the cost of the 2x4's to hold a face cord. I'm too cheap for that! It's off to the scrap yard or any place I can scrounge some steel.
Cross stack the ends. Need to pull out the straight splits to build. Costs nothing but some more time.

Judging by what I've burned this year the wood that I stacked for 24-25 might be for 25-26-27 if this warming continues. Stove has been cold for a few days, just lit it as it has dropped into the 40's predict high 20's tonight. Then it's be warm again by next week. Crazy swings in temperature every day. Daffodils are in full bloom I see the cherry trees in DC are blooming.
Mild winter for sure. They are predicting seasoned cords will be $500 up here next year. I'm fine with having some left over.

Yeah the crazy weather this winter is baffling and worrying. There will impacts to such warm weather on a lot of things and I know peaches are going to cost more locally at least as many won’t fruit this year in NE. I have pushed off my Woodstock stove purchase to summer now as I have too many other projects and want to get some wood up before getting a stove!

One of my projects this year is to air condition my shop building. switched out the home to a package unit and the AC compressor and A coil are only a couple of years old so it's going in the shop.
The effect on fresh food availability and costs will be interesting.

Yeah the crazy weather this winter is baffling and worrying. There will impacts to such warm weather on a lot of things and I know peaches are going to cost more locally at least as many won’t fruit this year in NE. I have pushed off my Woodstock stove purchase to summer now as I have too many other projects and want to get some wood up before getting a stove!
Yeah the local peach crop got toasted by that cold snap. RIP. I feel for the farmers. Apple guys has issues with hail a couple years ago but it wasn't a total loss like this.