Wood Moisture below the Reading Scale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Had a friend and his wife stop by last night, from South Carolina, who are up here in CT for a vacation........I was demonstrating the Moisture Meter I use, and grabbed a piece of wood from the wood ring in the living room.

I stuck the pronges into the split side of the wedge in my hands, and all I got was dash marks on the reading face. That didn't make sense, so I set the pronges on the skin of my arm and got a typical reading such as I've gotten before when I did that. At least that proved that it wasn't the batteries,..............(phew).

This is sorta a continuation of another discussion we were having, about wood that is TOO dry, and yet it's not really. Obviously the wood moisture was below the measurable level of the meters default range, but what IS the "default" range? Zero Percent?

If ALL the splits of wood in my wood ring are THAT dry..............my first few fires should be rather ...........well.............they should eat the wood like butter!!

Makes me want to wet the wood!!

-Soupy1957

Yeah, I can stick my meter into some splits and get readings in the single digits and once split in half it's much more.

If we measured wood moisture from the outside, seasoning would be really fast!

It's a fairly thin split to BEGIN with.........(the one I checked)

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
It's a fairly thin split to BEGIN with.........(the one I checked)

-Soupy1957

So what is the point then? Do you only plan to burn THIN splits? Or is it kindling?

Yep I got some poplar that I split up pretty small for kindling and it checks -0-

Suprised it just doesent spontaniously combust ;)

ANeat said:
Yep I got some poplar that I split up pretty small for kindling and it checks -0-

Suprised it just doesent spontaniously combust ;)

You have to stare at it a little longer. :lol:

soupy1957 said:
...Obviously the wood moisture was below the measurable level of the meters default range, but what IS the "default" range? Zero Percent?...

Dunno. They come in different flavors. Meter come with a user's manual? If so, you might check that. Rick

Mine is a General brand, goes from 5% to 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.