Wood needs cut stack by april 30th where you at for next year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
I have 1/2 cord stack for next year 2 cords that need splitt and stacked(using 10-12 cords a year).

I have (I hope!) next years wood c/s/s already...starting on 2nd yr and hope to have it c/s/s/ by April 30....but, thankfully I use a lot less wood than 10 cords/yr or I would be in trouble for next year!

muncybob said:
I have (I hope!) next years wood c/s/s already...starting on 2nd yr and hope to have it c/s/s/ by April 30....but, thankfully I use a lot less wood than 10 cords/yr or I would be in trouble for next year!

I am running a furnace and doing all my own hot water as well. 2600sq ft. gas bill ave 29.00 a month. Not the best furnace in the world either but i have more wood than I have Money! lol

I have next years C/S/S since last April. Am 1/3 of the way through the followings wood, have it C/S/S and have about 1 cord of ash thats cut and split, not stacked. I burn about 5 cords a year. Hope to have it all done by April 30. I like to stay 2 years ahead. I'd like to get to 3 years ahead, but I have trouble finding the time.

smokinjay said:
I have 1/2 cord stack for next year 2 cords that need splitt and stacked(using 10-12 cords a year).

smokinjay, we have 3-4 years stacked and ready. Looking for another stacking area for our shoulder season wood which isn't included in that 3-4 years.

zap

I've already cut split and stacked 1/2 of my next year wood and I have 5 truck loads of rounds to split that will bring me closed to finished. I want to scrounge another 5 or so truck loads and then start splitting in february. I want to be finished stacking by March 1st!

Dang snow storms are putting a squeeze on me. I used the 4x4 to get back to my side yard processing area. The snow was drifted pretty deep, but with a full load of wood - the old Dodge chugged right on thru!

basswidow said:
I've already cut split and stacked 1/2 of my next year wood and I have 5 truck loads of rounds to split that will bring me closed to finished. I want to scrounge another 5 or so truck loads and then start splitting in february. I want to be finished stacking by March 1st!

Dang snow storms are putting a squeeze on me. I used the 4x4 to get back to my side yard processing area. The snow was drifted pretty deep, but with a full load of wood - the old Dodge chugged right on thru!

Yea that chugging through thang sounds like what I am doing. ALL ASH AND LOCUST AND SUGAR MAPLE on the menu for next season. Will have 3 cords left for next year but need 7-9 quickly....

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

smokinjay, we have 3-4 years stacked and ready. Looking for another stacking area for our shoulder season wood which isn't included in that 3-4 years.

zap

You need to burn more! lol

I am feeling the need to find some firewood. I am a few years ahead and I want to stay that way.

I'm several years ahead in wood, but I don't really have much lined up for next year. I have lots of oak that will be ready for the 12/13 & 13/14 seasons, I should have at least a cord or 2 of sugar maple left this year that I'll burn next year. Then I have lots of locust and hedge that I don't want to burn unless I have to. I'm just going to have to get on it a little better. I do have some partially punky black locust that I think I'm going to stack for next year. That might be enough to get me through.

Worst case scenario I guess I'll dip into the locust/hedge pile. But I like to keep those because they're rot resistant. Those are my reserve in case I get too busy to cut wood or I physically can't (injury etc) so I don't like to use them unless it's a must.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

The cold weather coming in will take care of some it.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

The cold weather coming in will take care of some it.

Zap

thursday 4-6 inchs of snow followed by winds and hi of 10 friday! cold and getting colder!

I have next year (2011/2012) and the year after (2012/2013) stacked as I have about 9 cords split and stacked at the moment. Now, that is assuming a burn of 4 cord/year. However, it looks like I'm on track to only burn 3 cords this year (about same as last year). IF this becomes my basis then I'll have a cord left over from this year and can claim to have 2013/2014 good to go too. Ahh - that work last year is so worth it right now!

However, I am feeling the itch to get a load of wood to work on - I don't want to fall behind here or get too lazy... I'd like to split at least as much as I burn from this point on.

Approx 4 cords for 11/12 in the shed since October.

Will start cutting 12/13 supply next month if good weather allows. Will leave in piles until stacked in shed by October.

I'm done with the next 3 years, and I'm about 1/2 way through 2014/2015. Still have 2.5 cord to grab at work and at least 3 cord across the street. By end of next fall, should have ~ 22 cord put away. Cheers!

I have about 2 cord to cut for next year (year2). 6 cord to cut for year 3. Year 4 is done (oak...need I say more)...and probably will need about 4 or 5 cord for year 5.

Plan to cut 6 cord this spring and 4 this fall.

Next year 2011/12 wood is in the shed. Year after next 2012/13 wood is stacked outside waiting for room to be freed up in the shed. Next Winter I need to order up another grapple truck load which should carry me through 2015/16.

i am about 3 years ahead. not including my chuncks and ugly pile. cant do much out back right now with 30 inches of snow andnow ice covering it. but ill be back and at it in a couple weeks weather permitting. then to be 4 to 5 years ahead. plus the wood i'll plan to sell. hopefully have 25 30 cords by end of summer.!

Jay, April 1 is even better, at least for the cutting part.

So how much do I have cut for next year? Realizing we now only burn 3 cord per year I have:

2011-2012 3 cords ready
2012-2013 3 cords ready
2013-2014 3 cords ready
2014-2015 3 cords ready
2015-2016 3 cords ready
2016-2017 3 cords almost ready. Still need to split and stack this.

Then there are the logs (length from 8-12') that are hauled out of the woods but still need bucking. Probably 2-3 cord worth there.

No, I am not bragging but do like to set a good example if possible.

I could still cut much more yet this year but probably will not be able to due to some physical problems. Those physical problems are just one reason for having a good wood supply. If I can not cut any more this year or next year; no problem. If we need to sell some for a bit of extra cash, no problem as we'll still have plenty. If someone runs into some bad luck, we might also be able to help them out without hurting ourselves with the wood supply.

I am about 4 years ahead and have alot more to cut this year. Some is already in rounds. I have been putting some trails on the property and clearing an area for a barn/garage that is generating more. I do not heat my entire place with wood and have been burning mostly nights and weekends. I still figure I will use close to 4 cords. Many friends are also wanting wood so I imagine the pile will diminish. It is an easy commodity to sell if needed, but difficult to part with.

Depends, the way this winter is going, I may burn 5 cords insteads of 2 1/2 as hoped for with the new EPA Stove. Trouble is, after 2 more cords this winter, most of the "reserve" is green red and white oak cut and split spring of 2010. I think 3 summers in better for fresh green oaks.

I have about 12 cords on hand ready to go right now with 2 more split in a heap and another 1 in rounds. It looks like I may only burn 4 cords this year but will always plan on 5. I have some tree's to take care of around here so after this season I should still be 3 ahead. What I have on hand should handle my 2013-2014 wood. I'll know more after the season is over and I get things stacked up.

We burn just under 5 cord/year. I put almost 7 cord in the shed, and hope I'll have 2 left from that.
In the back field, I have one row of 5 cord, and another row of 3 1/3 cord.
There's still another 5 cord in logs from the last delivery I need to finish, and plan to cut some maple and oak from my sis-in-laws this year.
I'll also be taking down a few spruce this year. I slacked off a little last year after getting all that done, so I need to get back to it this year with a vengeance.

I have about 10 cords left stacked from the beginning if the season. I have only used about 1.5 cords so far from my stacks. I have been lucky in that at my new job I have access to scrap dry oak and pine that I have been using. I have about another 2 cords stacked at my brothers house and another 3 cords laying in rounds in the woods waiting to get hauled out. So that puts me at about 15 cords. Using only 3 cords a year I am 5 years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.