Wood Pellet Dispenser (You've got to be kidding!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As P.T. Barnum once said........"Theres a sucker born every minute". If someone is stupid enough to buy it, he's smart enough to sell it...........................................

Nice the downstairs basement but I would not want one in my livingroom.

Nice the downstairs basement but I would not want one in my livingroom but others might and that's good,

tjnamtiw said:
http://woodheatstoves.com/the-hopper-pellet-dispenser-p-2174.html

$300 new. My dealer has one and it works very well but is it worth a ton of pellets??????????????????????

If you look at the above link it says: "70% of all auger jams are caused by sawdust and "fines" that come from each bag of pellet fuel. Now you can decrease those jams significantly." With all the talk on previous topics relating to sifting of fines, I would be interested in how they get this percentage.

Eric at Kinsman Stoves and other dealers, is this what you find? I love the way people use percentages and probably have no way of verifying it.

If I knew this statement was true, or even 50%, I would probably start sifting.

Countk,

I do not know the answer to your question regarding the % of auger jams caused by sawdust and fines, but . . . .

Re: "If I knew this statement was true, or even 50%, I would probably start sifting."

I do not wish to stir the "to sift or NOT to sift" pot again, but would like to add that IMO, the quality of pellets ( and type of stove) goes a long way in determining whether or not sifting is worthwhile.

I have tried LG Granules, Lignetics ( hardwood), Okanagan, and Barefoot pellets and found them to be very clean ( sifting not really needed, although I do just in case).

The Maine Woods ( Athens) I purchased LAST YEAR and am still mixing with other pellets to use up, have a large percentage of fines and sawdust and, for my stove and peace of mind, need to be sifted.

As for the Craig's List pellet sifter, whether or not you like it or think that it has a place in the pellet world, I would suggest that if you purchased the materials and built it to a marketable standard or finish and quality, the price advertised is very fair. However, sweatshops in China, using child labor, could probably beat the price by a few dollars.

Ranger

I usually don't screen my pellets and I have done this with 3 different stoves now. I usually just let the hopper run low once a month and vacuum out the fines. Never had an auger jam. I built a screen for corn burning and will screen pellets if there seems to be a lot of fines or if I am testing pellets. Just to see how much some brands really have. Very hard to judge when you are just dumping them in the hopper.

I have heard of a few stoves that have seen issues with fines(don't recall there brand names) So I guess it all really depends on the stove. There is another issue that causes auger jams. Extremely long pellets over 1 1/2 inches. But mostly they bridge in the hopper, Than cause a jam.

Obviously thats a lot of dough just to hold pellets but it might fit someones needs just right.
Here`s my whole setup that cost maybe $40 total and odds and ends around the shop.
I call it my pellet delivery system. I had to make the pellet chute (funnel) box match the deck stairs and all and to hide the chute which is angled under the deck and thru the cellar window into the holding drum. The chopper handle works like a charm filling a 5 gal bucket. I built a similar second one for my neighbor too .
I store the pellets in the rear garage and wheel 6-8 bags at a time (in a wagon) up onto the deck and empty them right into the chute. It gives a retired old guy like me something to do. It sure beats the old firewoodand wood stove routine.

Here`s the link to a series of pic`s for those who haven`t seen it. I think I posted it last year.
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/pellet_shute

Ive got a pellet bin in my basement, but mine holds 1.25 tons and I don't fill it with bags, when I get low my oil dealer sends out a truck and blows the pellets in, this is the way to go IMO.

p.s. If I had more room in my basement I could have gotten a 3 ton bin.

http://www.heutzpellets.com/bins.html

bill

Gio said:
Obviously thats a lot of dough just to hold pellets but it might fit someones needs just right.
Here`s my whole setup that cost maybe $40 total and odds and ends around the shop.
I call it my pellet delivery system. I had to make the pellet chute (funnel) box match the deck stairs and all and to hide the chute which is angled under the deck and thru the cellar window into the holding drum. The chopper handle works like a charm filling a 5 gal bucket. I built a similar second one for my neighbor too .
I store the pellets in the rear garage and wheel 6-8 bags at a time (in a wagon) up onto the deck and empty them right into the chute. It gives a retired old guy like me something to do. It sure beats the old firewoodand wood stove routine.

Here`s the link to a series of pic`s for those who haven`t seen it. I think I posted it last year.
That is a nice setup. One question thou, what is the shop vac used for

I have never seen an auger jam from fines in 5 years.

1 - car keys
1 - water leak caused a rock hard mass of pellets in the tube
all the rest - really long pellets get jammed in the chute sideways

I guess if you go by my stats you are more likely to have an auger jam from car keys than fines :) Don't use your pellet stove as an end table people, I don't care if its right next to the front door.

ffspeed said:
Gio said:

That is a nice setup. One question thou, what is the shop vac used for

The shop vac is an old one (25 years +) used to vacuum the pellet stove. The pictures of it show the plastic T fitted with small filters to catch any dust that gets beyond the main cloth filter. It works .

Roadrat,

I have been interested in the Heutz oil pellet bulk delivery.

What are you paying for pellets?

What brand or brands can you choose from?

Are you satisfied with the service and quality?

Will they work on pellet stoves if you are a pellet customer ( Do you know)?

Thanks,

Ranger

If I had to sift/screen every bag of pellets, I'd just burn oil instead. Good stove, good pellets, and that's it...pour the damns pellets in the hopper and walk away.

SXIPro said:
If I had to sift/screen every bag of pellets, I'd just burn oil instead. Good stove, good pellets, and that's it...pour the damns pellets in the hopper and walk away.

Yup, get a pellet stove with a good design and dont worry about it. Use decent pellets and worry about it even less. Gotta admit, the guy had an idea and built something. If he sells it, he should build another. Thats the spirit that built the USA version 1.0. Now in USA Version 2.0 he needs to build it using government money, with a Czar in place to make sure he doesnt pay himself too much, give 30% of the profits to people who won't work and join a union so he can be exempt from the next attempt at socialized medicine.

Don't forget he has to hire a lobbyist to bribe some Senators to get a grant for pellet sifting research.

the old ranger said:
Roadrat,

I have been interested in the Heutz oil pellet bulk delivery.

What are you paying for pellets?

What brand or brands can you choose from?

Are you satisfied with the service and quality?

Will they work on pellet stoves if you are a pellet customer ( Do you know)?

Thanks,

Ranger

Heutz is my oil/pellet dealer, I paid $260.00 a ton this summer Pre-bought 3 tons,
I think they are now at $290.00 ton this includes delivery,
There is no brand name for the pellets there bulk but I've been told that they are PFI certified premium,
The service and quality are great,
I have a normal pellet stove(Pelpro bay window) not a pellet furnace.
you have to buy the pellet bin from them, it is made of anti-static material, they have 1.25 ton and 3 ton models.
not lugging bags is priceless.

Give Heutz a call they will give you all the details and will come out to your house and measure out a spot for the bin.

bill

Status
Not open for further replies.