Wood pellet Stove Auger Bushing - Brass, Plastic - Which do u have? How do u Lubricate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Found more info on the Magnum Baby CountrySide Auger motor bushing.

from >> http://www.americanenergysystems.com/Stock/LibraryFiles/t-0068babywinchestertroubleshooting1.pdf
Auger Motor- The auger motor is located at the base of the auger. The motor is held on be
one set screw to the auger. There are two bushings on the auger system- one is a bronze
bushing located at the top and a delron bushing at the base. The long bolt next to the auger
motor is meant to act as a stop for the motor. In case of an auger jam the bolt can be
removed to release tension on the motor/auger.
The auger motor does not receive varying voltage- it is either on or off. The on/off time will
vary depending on heat setting. The auger motor for the MagnuM Baby Countryside and
MagnuM Winchester is the same as the fuel stirrer motor on the MagnuM Countryside. If
the auger motor isn’t running check the high limit snap disk, voltage going to the motor,
obstructions in the auger, the vacuum/pressure switch, and continuity of the wiring harness.
If the auger motor is run on a high heat setting and if there isn’t proper air circulation the
motor will overheat and shut off. It is important to have adequate air flow in the room that
the stove is operating in, if not the heat will not transfer to other areas of the home.

OK folks....here is a secret for you, the ideal material for this app. is called Delrin (a very expensive plastic that last a lifetime, never needs lub, quite forever), the problem is because manufacturers do not wish to pay for this stuff and frankly its TO good a product to expect spare part sales in 10 years they choose not to use it. You may need to make the bushing yourself by purchasing a peice of delrin but try google to find something. My father stove company tested this stuff with incredible success and to this day 20+ years later any applications its been used on have never needed replacing. If you cant find any then PM me and ill mail you a thick piece you can bring to any machineshop and they can drill out a bushing for you that you will never hear squeek and never have to replace or maintain again.... sincerely Doug Crane

Hello Doug

American Energy Systems that make Magnum Wood Pellet stoves such as the Baby CountrySide in Minnesota makes Delron bushings (maybe similar to your Delrin) for around the Auger. I saw a Hopper fire that completely disintegrated the plastic bushing. Nothing left!
Magnum and Pelpro both do it in all their stoves because unlike brass bushings they never need lubrication and do not wear out! They just disintegrate when there is a fire!
American Energy Systems
http://www.americanenergysystems.com/
See my pics here!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...stove-hopper-fire-weird-auger-jam-help.86187/

yea Don...I did not mean to give the indication if set fire to any kind of plastic the outcome is very bad LOL. Delrin is however the most durable and long lasting plastic i know of and its properties allow it to be self lubricating for life (or until such a time as it catches fire HaHa... I use it for everything i do and more because its great to work with (can be drilled, sawed, machined into about anything your heart desires, I happen to get a lead on some of the highest grade delrin from the Gillette Company so if anyone needs a custom piece just shout out and ill slice a chunk of one of the logs i have of this stuff >>>
2vdivjk.jpg

Hi Dexter
Uninsulated Outside vertical venting is part of what I call adverse tolorance stack up for the Baby CountrySide.

1. Outside Vertical Venting in a cold climate like the North East here. Not Recommended
2. Corner of the building which is low and very drafty. Not the best location!
3. Magnum BabyCountryside with no Hopper Lid Gasket! Should have a hopper lid gasket!
4. In this case the out building is very poorly insulated and may be causing a chimney effect!

See
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ve-venting-for-magnum-baby-countryside.85610/

See Magnum BabyCountrySide Manual page 18 below excerpt I circled in Red!
click to enlarge and read what is NOT recommended here!

It states:
> > "Note: This type of installation is not recommended in cold climates unless closed in and properly insulated." < <
I'm worried because I see no gasket on my hopper lid as you describe. Does this look right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 202
Status
Not open for further replies.