Wood Pellet Stove End of Season - Yearly Cleaning - Combustion Motor Gasket Sale !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, I just found a wood pellet stove high temp blower gasket sale !!!! So I ordered 4 for the price of 2 that my dealer charges!!

FYI: There are 2 basic sizes for most wood pellet stoves!
Therefore yours is either a 7" for the large approx 2,200 sqft or 45 BTU stoves
or a 6" for the small approx 1,100 sqft or 25,000 BTU stoves

Wood Heat Stoves and Solar has the sale!
http://woodheatstoves.com/exhaust-blower-motor-gasket-7-hub-p-12128.html

Now is the time to do your yearly cleaning! Do not wait till the fall when prices go back up!!

Order Confirmed
Thank You! We Appreciate your Business!

Wood Heat Stoves and Solar
12426 N. Bloomfield Rd.
Nevada City, CA 95959
[email protected]
http://www.woodheatstoves.com
1-877-265-8618

Attachments

• GasketSale7inch.jpg
    GasketSale7inch.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 787
Thats a good deal. Its not a bad idea to have a few extras.

I ordered mine not to long ago... I always like to have a few extra on hand. I currently have a Combustion blower, thermocouple, door gasket, ignitor, combustion blower gasket, and ash pan gasket. Always handy to have back-ups when they fail. Looking to get a thermocouple cover from Kinsman Stoves.

Hey Don2222- I bought the 7/8 x 9ft Door gasket for my Quadrafire CB 1200 from Wood Heat Stoves. It was enough to replace it this year and enough left over to do it again. Says it is good for the CB1200 and the Avalon Newport. The door on the Newport and Astoria look the same. Don't know what size gasket yours takes. But if its a 7/8 Rope, then that's enough for 2 times. I was pretty happy when I got done and saw that I have enough to do it again in a few years. 3 years for the 1st one. But the first 2 years I was cleaning All the Time... Getting better at letting it go a full week. At the end of the season. I went 2 weeks in between cleanings... Twice... Having more stoves On-line next year. I will def not be cleaning them as often.

Attachments

• IMG00307-20110512-1249.jpg
    IMG00307-20110512-1249.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 756
DexterDay said:
I ordered mine not to long ago... I always like to have a few extra on hand. I currently have a Combustion blower, thermocouple, door gasket, ignitor, combustion blower gasket, and ash pan gasket. Always handy to have back-ups when they fail. Looking to get a thermocouple cover from Kinsman Stoves.

Hey Don2222- I bought the 7/8 x 9ft Door gasket for my Quadrafire CB 1200 from Wood Heat Stoves. It was enough to replace it this year and enough left over to do it again. Says it is good for the CB1200 and the Avalon Newport. The door on the Newport and Astoria look the same. Don't know what size gasket yours takes. But if its a 7/8 Rope, then that's enough for 2 times. I was pretty happy when I got done and saw that I have enough to do it again in a few years. 3 years for the 1st one. But the first 2 years I was cleaning All the Time... Getting better at letting it go a full week. At the end of the season. I went 2 weeks in between cleanings... Twice... Having more stoves On-line next year. I will def not be cleaning them as often.

Hello DexterDay

Good Deal, Thanks for the info. My stove has gone 2 seasons so I may be looking to do the door gasket next summer like you. The Astoria gasket is 7/8" wide but about 5 feet long so not sure if it will go twice. What do you think?

The part in the Avalon Astoria manual is stated below. That is approx. 7 foot rope.
GASKET, DOOR 7/8" x 85" WHITE ROPE 99900431

So your kit would work at least once
http://woodheatstoves.com/78-x-9-rope-gasket-for-quad-cb1200i-avalon-newport-p-12291.html

Attachments

• DoorGasketKit.jpg
    DoorGasketKit.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 748
Mine says the same. But I had enough to do it once, then test fitted around the door again and had enough to do it again. With almost a foot left over. I dont know if they cut my peice long at WoodHeatStoves. I never measured before putting it in. Bought it assuming it would be a one time deal, with a little left over. But I have enough for a secong application. Hope this works for you.

And yes, thats the kit I bought that you posted. $22.75 per app. if used twice.

DexterDay said:
Mine says the same. But I had enough to do it once, then test fitted around the door again and had enough to do it again. With almost a foot left over. I dont know if they cut my peice long at WoodHeatStoves. I never measured before putting it in. Bought it assuming it would be a one time deal, with a little left over. But I have enough for a secong application. Hope this works for you.

And yes, thats the kit I bought that you posted. $22.75 per app. if used twice.

Thanks again Dexter

Also, I have to clean the Blowers - Are you doing that?
Here are some pics and info I put together!

Yearly Cleaning Tips for your Avalon Astoria.

The Convection Fan (Blower) can be removed by loosening the back 2 screws and removing the front 2 screws closest to the side door.
Then the Convection Blower can slide out with no gasket involved.

Wood Pellet Stove Yearly Cleaning - Convection Blower
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60351/

Wood Pellet Stove Yearly Cleaning - Exhaust Blower
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60251/

Hello

Finally, my Exhaust Blower gaskets will be here tomorrow!

From Chelmsford MA they go to Nashua NH and then on the Truck for delivery!!

Only 9 Days to ship from Nevada City California!! LOL

It is a good sale price :) Thanks Wood Heat Stoves and Solar.

It is the the original lytherm gasket which has much better anti vibrational qualities (quieter!)

Attachments

• GasketDelivery.jpg
    GasketDelivery.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 562
What pellet stove has a thermocouple? And on a pellet stove that door gasket should be good for five years minimum.

BrotherBart said:
What pellet stove has a thermocouple? And on a pellet stove that door gasket should be good for five years minimum.

Several, England has units with them, quadrafire, harman, and ussc for starters.

BrotherBart said:

Hey BB, my Door Gasket failed because the 1st year I had it, I had it Way to Tight (Rookie mistake). The last 2 years its been limping along. This one should give me at least 5 yrs.

As Smokey said, Many have a Thermo couple. Here is a pic of my burn pot. The Thermo-couple has a White Porcelain cover on it.

Attachments

• Almost Looks New Again.jpg
    Almost Looks New Again.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 582
Thanks. I keep learning new stuff from you folks every day.

BrotherBart said:

No Problem BB. Have learned much from you about the workings of the 30-NC and the wood it likes.

Gonna need this added "Pellet" info, for when you are burning that Englander 25-PDVC this coming winter. If I am not mistaken, dont you already have 2 tons of pellets???? Make sure that 25-PDVC is good and clean before you start it up. Buying a Combustion blower gasket and taking a look inside wont hurt it either. Make sure all elec motors are "Clean" and "Lubed" up.. If the stove can be located outside, you can use compressed air and really clean that stove out.

Thanks for Everything you do here at Hearth.com (All Administrators and Moderators and the Web Master too)

Hi-jacking, done. I promise.... Sorry Don2222

DexterDay said:
BrotherBart said:

No Problem BB. Have learned much from you about the workings of the 30-NC and the wood it likes.

Gonna need this added "Pellet" info, for when you are burning that Englander 25-PDVC this coming winter. If I am not mistaken, dont you already have 2 tons of pellets???? Make sure that 25-PDVC is good and clean before you start it up. Buying a Combustion blower gasket and taking a look inside wont hurt it either. Make sure all elec motors are "Clean" and "Lubed" up.. If the stove can be located outside, you can use compressed air and really clean that stove out.

Thanks for Everything you do here at Hearth.com (All Administrators and Moderators and the Web Master too)

Hi-jacking, done. I promise.... Sorry Don2222

Hello Dexter Day

That's OK, I like to learn new stuff also. What is the function of the Thermocoupler? I have one in my gas fireplace to light the fire (See explanation below) but what does a thermocoupler do in the pellet stove?
Where is your ignitor?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/how_gas_works

Definition
Thermocouple: A thermocouple is a device made of two different metals which creates a small electrical charge when heated at one end.

So in the gas fireplace the thermocoupler creates the current for the electomagnet to open the gas valve.
See below:

Explanation: This type of gas valve used a single thermocouple. A thermocouple is a device made of two different metals which creates a small electrical charge when heated at one end by the gas pilot. This small charge causes an electromagnet inside the gas valve to open and allow gas to flow to the main burners. Since the thermocouple must be heated before the burner will start, gas appliances often have a startup mode, during which a knob must be depressed and held for 30 seconds or so after lighting the pilot. At the end of the 30 seconds, the pilot should be generating enough electricity for the valve to operate correctly. At this time, the startup knob can be released and the valve turned to an “on†position for appliance operation.

Interesting Quadrafire Castile ignition problem!!
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157841

Hey Don. The purpose of a thermocouple on a Quadrafire is basically the same as your POF switch (proof of Fire) on your stove. It is simply a device that reads the temp and lets the stove "Feed" pellets.

When my Quadrafire is first igniting, the auger sends a set amount of fuel (based on time/about a minute) to the burn pot. Then the ignitor starts to light the pellets. Once the pellets ignite, the heat is sensed by the Thermocouple and and lets the auger begin to feed pellets again. If no Heat is sensed then the stove goes into shut-down.(Along with other things such as vacuum sensor, etc). When the stove runs out of fuel and the temp drops below the "Set-point", then the stove goes out.

The same as a POF switch in most stoves or a Photo-Eye in a Whitefield. They all serve the same purpose. Quadrafire just put there's front and center. Which is a feature I kinda like. Really easy to get to. Only thing I do not like, is the size of the hole for the wire for the Thermocouple. The hole is pretty big, and that let's air in the stove, that could have went thru the burn pot. I have sealed mine up pretty good. Took a couple different products and some trial and error. But any hole, crack, leak for the OAK and or Firebox is sealed up now.

Quadrafires OAK set-up is HORRIBLE. It is a 50/50 inside air/outside air system at best. Until you seal up the back of where the air comes in, and the base of the stove must be sealed also. Along with the Ignitor wires and thermocouple wire holes. Lots of work and Lots of 1000 degree High Temp sealant.... But it is probably closer to 90/10 Outside air/Inside air. Mine is about as close to a Real OAK as possible. Thought about adding a Dampner of sorts this summer.

How is your OAK? Does your stove have a dampener on it? Or is it like mine? Just a hole that "Kinda" goes to where the air is needed. Our stoves seem so much alike. (other than the burnpot = square/round)

Both are 45 (Quad says it 47,000) Both have Large hoppers. Mine is 80 lbs. If I am not mistaken, yours is larger. . Bay Window Style Stoves(really like that).

DexterDay said:
Hey Don. The purpose of a thermocouple on a Quadrafire is basically the same as your POF switch (proof of Fire) on your stove. It is simply a device that reads the temp and lets the stove "Feed" pellets.

When my Quadrafire is first igniting, the auger sends a set amount of fuel (based on time/about a minute) to the burn pot. Then the ignitor starts to light the pellets. Once the pellets ignite, the heat is sensed by the Thermocouple and and lets the auger begin to feed pellets again. If no Heat is sensed then the stove goes into shut-down.(Along with other things such as vacuum sensor, etc). When the stove runs out of fuel and the temp drops below the "Set-point", then the stove goes out.

The same as a POF switch in most stoves or a Photo-Eye in a Whitefield. They all serve the same purpose. Quadrafire just put there's front and center. Which is a feature I kinda like. Really easy to get to. Only thing I do not like, is the size of the hole for the wire for the Thermocouple. The hole is pretty big, and that let's air in the stove, that could have went thru the burn pot. I have sealed mine up pretty good. Took a couple different products and some trial and error. But any hole, crack, leak for the OAK and or Firebox is sealed up now.

Quadrafires OAK set-up is HORRIBLE. It is a 50/50 inside air/outside air system at best. Until you seal up the back of where the air comes in, and the base of the stove must be sealed also. Along with the Ignitor wires and thermocouple wire holes. Lots of work and Lots of 1000 degree High Temp sealant.... But it is probably closer to 90/10 Outside air/Inside air. Mine is about as close to a Real OAK as possible. Thought about adding a Dampner of sorts this summer.

How is your OAK? Does your stove have a dampener on it? Or is it like mine? Just a hole that "Kinda" goes to where the air is needed. Our stoves seem so much alike. (other than the burnpot = square/round)

Both are 45 (Quad says it 47,000) Both have Large hoppers. Mine is 80 lbs. If I am not mistaken, yours is larger. . Bay Window Style Stoves(really like that).

Yes, they are similar. My hopper is 115 lbs and I have a similar OAK issue. There is a 1.25" square hole in the OAK plenum inside the stove so there is about a 50/50 mix of Outside/Inside air. So I blocked it with an aluminum plate to see what happens and why Travis tells you not to block that hole! See my post >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/68771/
The inside air mix is so the pellets burn better on low heat settings!! I still think blocking the hole in the dead of winter may be ok. It is the shoulder seasons that are more affected.

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 445
Status
Not open for further replies.