1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood pellets...pellet size matters

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by ChrisWNY, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio

as long as the density is fiber not filler taht some use
    so a heavier pellet could put out less heat
    another variable
    the way I see it, even not so good pellets are cheaper than oil, electric or propane
    or just buy a HarmAn
    all pellets burn the same

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 1Dtml

1Dtml Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT
    Yuph, I mentioned that this gave the density theory a boost, so I agree.
    My points were that one should optimize the burn of any given pellet, or I'm sure some will say "buy a Harman." ;-)
    This should not only provide your pellet gives out its max heat production, but I think you will have less ash to deal with.
    I was also guessing that both 100% hardwood or 100% softwood pellets have a higher density level than most if not all blends??
    You have done much testing, so are there any blends that produce the heat levels of the 100% hard or soft pellets???

I think that if a stove is not tuned for the pellet that is being burned that the results will vary greatly, hence why we are always saying "try some for all stoves are different."

I was very surprised at the amount of ash (a bunch) that was produced by the MWP pellets when the burn wasn't optimized when compared to the same MWP pellets producing (very little) ash when the burn was optimized.

I will be optimizing for each pellet brand I use before deciding which to purchase from now on....just sayin! ;-P

1D
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    When you got feed trim and combustion trim on your side. You can tweak the burn. Basically what the harman is doing. Ours isn't automatic, But we can tweak to what we want(not what a computer wants). Yeah fuel injection is easier, But carbs are tinkering man's toys! Usually only needed if pellet brands are changed. And something to do when its cold out. I would rather be tweaking my stove and hugging my pellets than watching the tellie anyway!
  4. 1Dtml

1Dtml Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT
    That's what I'm saying, now that I've got the tweaking down it opens up more options as to pellet brands.

So did you ever find a hard/soft blend that could come close to the 100%s in heat production???

This may be a short cut to knowing what produces more heat without trying every brand out there.

1D
  5. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    The lignetic's green(with conifer) was about the best in the blends.
  6. 1Dtml

1Dtml Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT
    Results of my totally unscientific test.

Here is one of you tests: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

I just took the averages of temperatures from your tables, and found the following:

100% hardwood pellets average temperature = 245*F

100% softwood pellets average temperature = 247*F

hardwood/softwood blend pellets average temperature = 233*F

Not a large sample, and I'm not sure that you optimized your burn settings, so this may mean nothing, but is interesting none the less.

1D
  7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    To be close in the approx. times of the testing. I set them all to heat setting 3 and feed trim 3. Only adjusted damper air to get a consistent flame. Should be close enough for none lab test result's And many stoves out there don't have feed trim anyways.