Wood picking up moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our dog is a mix- we were told he’s part lab. He’s a great firewood companion, loves being outside with me.
Split firewood is what you described. Could even be more square or rectangular shape. Split firewood will dry well wheras wood left in the round will not.

Reactions: magillil
50607CCD-1931-4C76-BB1D-26BFE2B0897E.jpeg Another wood and dog pic to give an example. I stacked some splits and rounds side by side. I only stacked the round to get them off the ground until I could get to split them.

View attachment 225474 Another wood and dog pic to give an example. I stacked some splits and rounds side by side. I only stacked the round to get them off the ground until I could get to split them.

Do you have a special machine that splits the wood? I think I have a bunch of the rounded sides that get cut off in the cord I bought, but there don't seem to be enough of those to account for all the parts that were sliced off.

Yeah, your buddy's tail is different from a Lab's tail. You have a good looking boy who enjoys being with you, and that's the best you can get. Mixed breeds usually don't have the health issues that full-blooded breeds have. I have three mixed breeds: part Golden and Shepherd, part Aussie shepherd and border collie, and some kind of terrier who came from a hoarder and is afraid of everyone but me - he barks continually when someone is in my house. The Labs I used to get were also rescues. Here are my three sweeties.

DSC02373.JPG

Reactions: mountain man 2
Do you have a special machine that splits the wood? I think I have a bunch of the rounded sides that get cut off in the cord I bought, but there don't seem to be enough of those to account for all the parts that were sliced off.

Yeah, your buddy's tail is different from a Lab's tail. You have a good looking boy who enjoys being with you, and that's the best you can get. Mixed breeds usually don't have the health issues that full-blooded breeds have. I have three mixed breeds: part Golden and Shepherd, part Aussie shepherd and border collie, and some kind of terrier who came from a hoarder and is afraid of everyone but me - he barks continually when someone is in my house. The Labs I used to get were also rescues. Here are my three sweeties.

View attachment 225486

Your dogs are beautiful! They look very happy as well. While I now have a hydraulic splitter, I hand split with a splitting maul for a while. The hydraulic splitter definitely saved a lot of time. They make smaller electric splitters that do a good job with wood round up to about 10 inches or so.

Your dogs are beautiful! They look very happy as well. While I now have a hydraulic splitter, I hand split with a splitting maul for a while. The hydraulic splitter definitely saved a lot of time. They make smaller electric splitters that do a good job with wood round up to about 10 inches or so.

Thanks! I love my babies! I've been ordering my wood, so I don't have to split it. Why would you hand split instead of using the hydraulic splitter? Do you do it for the exercise?

Reactions: mountain man 2
I should have said that i hand split before I bought my splitter. Lol.

I should have said that i hand split before I bought my splitter. Lol.

I have lost all admiration and respect for you now. ;) I think I misinterpreted what you'd said, anyway. You did imply that you used to use a hand splitter.

Getting ready for two more dog walks. I wish we had some spring time weather. It feels like winter, still.

Those are ring necked pheasants and they are beautiful AND delicious! My favorite non-native species for sure!
Originally brought here from China and East Asia in the late 1800’s but they thrive here as long as coyotes, foxes, and fenceline-clearing farmers leave them alone. Very pretty.

I have lost all admiration and respect for you now. ;) I think I misinterpreted what you'd said, anyway. You did imply that you used to use a hand splitter.

Getting ready for two more dog walks. I wish we had some spring time weather. It feels like winter, still.
One of the many great things about active dogs is that they keep us active as well.

Ring Necks used to be common in these parts back on n the 70's but non-existent now due to developments sprouting up all over the place since. No habitat now. A real shame. Kevin

Most days (97%) when I get home from work, my dog is the first one at the door greeting me. 30 seconds of special time, and then he lets me in.
Puts things in perspective for me. Leave your troubles at the door, don't bother your family with them. My best friend for sure.

Those are ring necked pheasants and they are beautiful AND delicious! My favorite non-native species for sure!
Originally brought here from China and East Asia in the late 1800’s but they thrive here as long as coyotes, foxes, and fenceline-clearing farmers leave them alone. Very pretty.

Thanks for telling me about them.

Reactions: Eureka
One of the many great things about active dogs is that they keep us active as well.

Since I retired, I've been taking my three on two walks daily. They have a doggy door and privacy fence, so they don't need the walks to "do their business." But they love their walks, especially since there are lots of other dogs in the neighborhood. We saw two foxes today (I saw two, but they only saw one.) And I have a friend/neighbor whose dog I walk every evening after my dogs' last walk. Holding back 200 # of three disobedient and ill-mannered dogs is my strength training, and the walking is good for my body and spirit.

I think you're right. I'm going to take the big cover off. I wish I could send it back, but I've had it too long. Maybe I'll write a new review to warn others about using it for wood.

It's actually a nice Winter cover for already well seasoned wood.

But for actively seasoning wood the last thing you want to do is protect it from the elements.

It's actually a nice Winter cover for already well seasoned wood.

But for actively seasoning wood the last thing you want to do is protect it from the elements.

The wood I buy appears to be seasoned - and the seller claims it is. I don't know if you read my first post, but my concern was because I had found water droplets on the inside of the top of the cover and didn't know where they were coming from. I was concerned that the wood was getting wet from the cover.

Do you think I should cover the wood in the winter and leave it uncovered the rest of the time, or leave it uncovered all the time, or leave it covered all of the time?