1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood pile date tags ?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Robbie, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    Anyone want to brainstorm and think of an easy way to date your wood piles on the ends of the logs so as to easily look and see when each pile was cut/stacked or will be burned by ?

I have 4 rows about 40 ft. long by 6 ft. tall and I just used a heavy magic marker on the ends of a few select splits under an upper tarp.

I figure there has to be an easy way to make tags but I don't think magic markers will last over a few months outside before fading.

Plastic lids would work well if stapled onto splits but what to use for marking ?

Just a thought............while waiting for fall.............. %-P

Robbie

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Get some address numbers (7,8,9,0) and thumbtack a number into each row (2007,2008,2009,2010)?
  3. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Burn it in with a hot piece of iron, month and year should suffice.
  4. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
  5. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    You could also take digital photos of the piles that include a date and time.
  6. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Holy Cow...Just burn the oldest stuff first and hope you have enough, that's what I do.

Then I'm with BB, eye up the furniture
  7. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
    How about "dog tags" Go to a local Petco or such that has the machine to punch out dog ID tags on a piece of metal and nail em to the end of a split.. instead of putting dog info on them just put a date. Kinda small but would work and not that costly. Me I just know when I cut each stack.
  8. Gunner

Gunner New Member

Loc:
    Southern Ontario
    People the stove season is only a few weeks away...let's not loose are flippin' minds here. Blowin on wood, cold wood, now we are going to be lazer inscribing each split.

I need a drink.... :grrr:
  9. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    I'll have one with you here, Gunner. If it's dry - it's dry, and should be all set to throw it in the stove. If it's cold or frozen - probably a good idea to bring it inside and let it warm up a bit before you throw it in the stove (thinking more of thermal shock to the stove than anything else if the wood has a bunch of ice chunks hanging on it). Other than that - keep the stove going - you'll save money and be more comfortable - whether the wood going in is cold or up to room temperature before it goes in is probably not going to make any noticible difference (though, technically - I guess it could), but I wouldn't really change things around much to make sure you have anything other than easy access to get to the wood pile.
  10. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    "Mr Bartender make that three..." lol
    I was thinking along the same lines the other day. Full moon people start acting weird...Time to Woodburning season gets closer and closer the pyro's start to get the shakes...lol Just something about a wood fire. ;)

Well Robbie...If I was going to get "All Monk" about it??? Perhaps a handfull of u-shaped electricians' staples (buy those by the 2 gallon pail) a few milk jug tops and a fine toothed sharpie would be about as far as I would be willing to go.
    If you really want to get fancy...save the date tags from the loaf of bread or English muffins and tack em to the end of the splits as they "become available".
    Grabbing from the same end of the pile you started stacking is about as far as I worry...in the end all I say "Burn It" ;)
  11. Robbie

Robbie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Tennessee- Great Smoky Mountains.
    Yes, but my cat was on a pile the other day and I'm thinkin this was a sign that he wanted me to burn that pile first............so I realized it was a sign and decided to date my piles.

..............this way he would know like me which to burn first. :roll:

..............if he can still read as good as he did last year............ %-P

Plastic lids with permanent marker dates, stapled under the plastic should work..............he will just have to figure how to raise the plastic to see the dates...........I'm sure not showing him.

Robbie
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    This reminds me. I put four more splits on the pile yesterday and forgot to add the serial numbers, wood type, cutting date, splitting date, dimensions and weight of each to the inventory spreadsheet. ;-)
  13. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Hello. My name is wahoowad and I am a woodpile addict. Yes, I date my stacks with a plastic tag that I write on with a permanent marker. Don't ask me why, I just do it.
  14. Gibbonboy

Gibbonboy New Member

You could accomplish all of this with a simple database and either a barcode/reader or RFID tags/reader. You'd need a portable scanner, though- wouldn't want to get wood in the house only to scan it and find out that it was the wrong vintage, species, or something!

Seriously, I have a bunch of woodpiles all over the place, and even with my defective memory (I'm having a great time, what are we doing again?) I can still generally remember which wood is ready to burn when. I would also say that unless there is a huge chronological difference in piles, the variances between splits in a pile would be wider than the averages of the two piles. If anyone is bored this winter and/or is looking for a statistics project, maybe you could test each split. Firewood QA/QC is important!

Stencils or magic marker is the way to go.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.