Wood Rack, A Crazy Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I had a dream of a new way to make a wood rack. In fact I thought I could sell this idea. Make it out of PVC Pipe, with a metal roof, or a fiberglass roof. I put this one together. It cost alot more than I thought (probably close to $100, but once I got started, I couldn't stop), after you buy all the fittings and pipe. It is lightweight, and I think it will work. But I think I will chaulk this one up as an experiment that I will use. I was going to load it up with good wood like Locust or Oak, but I figured since the shoulder season will be coming up that I might as well get rid of some branches first. Oh well, you gotta dream.

Attachments

• woodrack1.jpg
    woodrack1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 768
  • woodrack2.jpg
    woodrack2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 793
looks nice I built some with 2x6 uprights and metal roof holds 2 rows 8 feet long 6 and 7 feet high (pitch) = about 1 cord. My goal is to stack wood once then bring it in to be burnt. Not there yet.

Good idea but PVC is easy to work with but it will break really easy in cold weather. Probably best to stick with building a rack with wood rather than PVC.

I think It's a good idea but would work better with steel pipe the pvc seems to realy be bowed out on the ends and may break.

We will see how it holds up, I was trying to come up with a lightweight idea, I even thought about designing one that you could put over your stacks and make it moveable so that instead of restacking you could just move the shed. A kind of moveable shed. I think with more heave duty PVC it may work. But for expense just wolminized lumber is the way to go.

I like the simplicity of it but it needs to be beefed up some.

savageactor7 said:
I like the simplicity of it but it needs to be beefed up some.

Your are right, the white PVC is stiffer, or if I would go with the 4 inch pipe it would be really stong, I was thinking that would be the way to go on a moveable wood shed, but the cost does add up. As Woodmaster said the metal pipe would also be a good idea.

If you're worried about bowing at the ends, throw a piece of rebar into the tubes, stop it from breaking under the weight.

Interesting, I could actually put rebar in as I did not glue the uprights. The pipe does seem pretty flexible so it might hold up but the rebar is a good idea.

Hehheh . . . we're a pretty sad lot aren't we . . . we get bored stacking all of our wood in the straight rows . . . move on to Holtz Mietes and now we're building experimental racks to store our wood. ;) :)

On a serious note . . . I think this idea could work with some tweaking . . . rebar in the pipe, thicker pipe, etc.

If you made that w/schedule 40, you may be sorry when it gets really cold. It is a great idea but I would think you're gona want schedule 80 at minimum.

Well how about putting in some tees, say, every 3 feet. This would allow you to put in crossbars and would stop the bowing. I still think winter would be rough on it.

I think the roof and the base will be OK, if the side pieces give me a problem I did not glue them in so I can pop them right out and replace with schedule 80 or rebar or make an adjustment. It was an experiment and I learned alot. It also helps on my plumbing skills. What do you guys think of a moveable shed that would cover 8 foot of pallets? I thought that would be a neat idea instead of loading a wood shed you could move the shed. I would use heavy duty pipe for it, but I thought it was another interesting idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.