wood rack ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plumedic

Jul 22, 2015
Kansas
I'm looking for some ideas on how to build some wood racks. Looking for something that I can move around with a track loader and forks. I have access to some pallets but would consider metal too. Thanks

Reactions: Kelster
I am using free pallets for my wood piles. I am not concerned with moving them so I don't made them big. I also used scrap pieces to brace everything together. 3312270e178edfff58e825c3820e33c2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pallets or IBC totes
pallets are usually pretty cheap, as in usually free

Reactions: NickDL
might not work for you but,

I use some 4-6 dia pine 6-10 ft long 'rails" on the ground.

Cross stack the splits and you can go up to 4 ft easily

Pallets. One for the base and three more for the sides and back. Sturdy, stable and easily moveable (with forks).

I make these. They are portable and last a long time.
Its just me but man I hate that style of rack, I have ocd when it comes to wood piles and those racks just get right under my skin lol :)

I use the same concept, cheap and can be removed as the wood is used up.
p7VaLxvxpIJw6zeEqqd47H0MBEnEd3CRu7qqr3wu1e7xeKGnzVKE5riEpZG4D_knjGRcAGdwEGJICoHPu21=w901-h675-no.jpg

I use the same concept, cheap and can be removed as the wood is used up.
Ohhhhh nooooo.... you to? nice clean garage though

Another great use for the wood stack! lol

pJaVJStIJVmDRNxrnvQ5AuXXYv5zW4n8RJq5_IXoDqoIEXiFpZpeoiPPLOlhNuzqyWNYBYzf4H2NwrGs83A=w901-h675-no.jpg

I'm always trying to get my nieces and nephews up north to do other things than stare at the cell phones. No reception, no TV, cable, just the outdoors.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Completely made from pallets...
IMG_2136.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so simple as to be pure genius and I am in love with it.

Its just me but man I hate that style of rack, I have ocd when it comes to wood piles and those racks just get right under my skin lol :)

So you hate it when tsquini does it but like it when buc74 does the same exact think and throws his junk on top?

I have a similar set up but my piles during the drying pile keep falling over,any ideas.
How high do you stack it? Still can not go 4 ft. I have tried to go higher but gravity always wins

I am using free pallets for my wood piles. I am not concerned with moving them so I don't made them big. I also used scrap pieces to brace everything together. View attachment 183684

i use the exact same setup in the back yard for the stuff that need seasoning and doesn't go straight to the shed

Reactions: NickDL
image.jpg

Here are the ones I make. I also use one as a carryall

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kelster
So is that where you season the wood or just your storage to be ready to use?

Travis
Both. I have multiple piles, so I have wood in different stages of seasoning. I'm not a fan of moving wood around any more than I have to. I do have a wood rack on the porch for the wood we're going to burn.

Reactions: Tegbert
Status
Not open for further replies.