Wood Rot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
Okay my wife just asked how do you keep the fire wood from rotting when its out in the weather and not covered?

How old is it? Wood should last a few yrs uncovered? I have some that is going on almost 3 yrs, uncovered, and is gonna be some AWESOME WOOD next year!

If its on the ground, that's a different story. No wood should be in the dirt, or resting in water.

Reactions: ScotO
Keep it off the ground, split and stacked in a breezy location, it'll last for years. Put a top cover on it during the winter/wet months, it'll last a decade or even longer.....

Reactions: zap and smokinj
Some of it depends on the wood type.

Scotty "covered it" pretty well ;)

Reactions: zap and ScotO
Keep it off the ground is the key thing. My firewood has been stacked outside for three years and shows no signs of rot except for those pieces that were punky when I stacked them. The punky wood is even punkier now.

Okay my wife just asked how do you keep the fire wood from rotting when its out in the weather and not covered?
...You know what honey? You're right
I think I need to build a woodshed

Reactions: Shane N

Stan, tell your wife that you know a guy who has burned wood for a few years now and he's never had any wood rot yet! However, we usually don't keep it around more than 6-8 years.

Also, this year I scrounged some white oak from a neighbor's woods. That oak had been sitting for at least 10 years and about half of it was cut to length (16") already. It was even sunk in to the dirt. Wood is just fine.

We moved the off the ground today. Got it on some concrete blocks and 4"X 4" it looks pretty good. Now need to get them rounds split and start another stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.