Wood seasoning time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I've Got plenty of oak set aside but it won't be ready for 1.5-2 years. I'm stocking up on softer, faster drying stuff like maple, cherry, etc. Are the drying times similar for all of these types of wood? I have plenty of them to choose from and would like to cut the quickest drying. Tia

They are all quick drying especially compared to oak. Think I would rank them maple, pine, cherry but I've had some pine that needed more than I thought it would. I'd take the maple all day long.

Edit: You're a long way away from the northeast so you can take my advice for what it's worth. If you can get any dead standing pine that could be good stuff.

Last edited:
Some soft (silver) maple I split late last winter was at 15% by September.

Yes, the wood you mentioned all dry fairly quickly. Not all maple have similar dry time. Silver and Norway will dry with In a year. Red will take a bit longer and hard maple will take at least 2 years.

Beech is good but I don't think it's fast drying.

Beech will take about 2 years. Do you have a moisture meter? It is a vital tool for the wood burner.

Beech will take about 2 years. Do you have a moisture meter? It is a vital tool for the wood burner.

Yea I have one. I'm new to anything but oak. I burned in a fireplace growing up so wood didn't necessarily need to be well seasoned. When I started burning in the stove I found out real quick that wasn't the case. Looking to stockpile the maple, cherry, ash until the oak is ready

Worth noting that you can ensure quicker drying for this coming winter by splitting smaller than usual.

Worth noting that you can ensure quicker drying for this coming winter by splitting smaller than usual.
Yep. I had some soft Maple that I stacked last spring but it didn't get quite dry enough because I split it on the big side, and last summer wasn't the best for drying....rained too much resulting in a lot of high-humidity days.

Hey rebel! Is that your 13 in your signature pic? Woo Hoo! Remember, no matter how much you want to use it this summer, ya gotta wait or else you'll be in the same category as the real old guys at deer camp...the ones that keep the fire going...about 80-90 degrees...overnight and everyone who is trying to sleep just melt instead.

Hey rebel! Is that your 13 in your signature pic? Woo Hoo! Remember, no matter how much you want to use it this summer, ya gotta wait or else you'll be in the same category as the real old guys at deer camp...the ones that keep the fire going...about 80-90 degrees...overnight and everyone who is trying to sleep just melt instead.

Lol! I'm gonna burn it the next two nights cause its gonna be in the 30's here but after that I'm shutting it down! No that was my 17vl in the pic, I need to update it.

image.jpg Here it is Dave! Still gotta seal my cedar up front but its pretty well done

Status
Not open for further replies.