1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood shed sooner than expected (pics)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by BucksCounty, Dec 8, 2012.

1. BucksCounty

BucksCounty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Wasn't planning on making a wood shed for a year or two, but Sandy provided much of the lumber I was able to recycle from the Jersey shore. So, I had at it. Did the best I could building solo. By no means perfect, not exactly square, but it will do the job. It is 16ft. wide, 6ft. deep, and ranges between 7 and 8 height at peak and 5ft. height along the back, with a 2 ft. overhang in the front. I still need to add sides, but I am going to begin filling today. Will post pics when filled.
    shed1 (2).jpg shed1.jpg shed2.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    looking good........you made it all count
  3. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    I have been contemplating a wood storage shed. I have mixed emotions though....as long as the wood is neatly stacked and covered, is it necessary for me? I am by no means criticizing yours. The design is awesome and the first thing I said when I looked at it was here is a template to build mine off of. I like it. No matter what, you will still have many stacks after filling it. Is it your plan to rotate wood from your uncovered stacks? Will that shed hold enough wood for one season of burning? Nice work.
  4. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    its gonna be a fine shed. when its empty you can play poker out there.:cool:
  5. NordicSplitter

NordicSplitter Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western,NY
    Do you plan on leaving the sides open for air circulation???
  6. BucksCounty

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I will still have a good amount of stacks after filling but I am going to fill, stacking wood tight under she'd. I don't want to mess with tarps anymore. I figure I will be able to pack between 4 to 5 cords. I am going to enclose the sides with nicer paneling.
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

With those dimensions, you can probably hold 4+ cords! So now the next task is getting that seasoned stuff in there. Great looking shed with recycled material.
  8. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    How did Sandy give you lumber?
  9. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    If the wood going in there is dry, no need for too much air circ.
    Mine isn't perfectly square either (about 1/2" out), and the only problem I had was the roof sheathing.
    If it were a house, I'd be more inclined to get it closer to perfect.:cool:
    Load 'er up!
  10. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Snow & rain free fire wood year round with out using tarps is great.
    You'll love it.
    Nice design . Good job!
    Of course a picture of it full of wood with snow everywhere & dry/ findable fire wood will be sweet :)
    PapaDave likes this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No need to enclose the sides unless you want it for looks. Air circulation is still a good thing. If you do enclose it, for sure make really certain the wood is dry before putting into the shed.

As for the tarps, now you have the shed you'll really wonder why you ever messed with tarps. ;) It will be nice not having to scrape snow and ice away so you can get the wood.
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Be sure to leave a hole in the middle for a man cave !

Pete
  13. BucksCounty

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I was down LBI after storm taking care of family's house. House around the corner was taking all their decking and throwing away. I knocked on the door, asked if they mind if I take it and the woman said take as much as I'd like. I loaded my truck on 2 seperate trips to the shore. A couple 4 by 4s and many 2 x 6s. Had to buy the plywood, eight 2 by 4s, and a roll of mineral paper for back roof. Shingles were extra from house and shed rooves. They don't match perfect, but it is a shed in the woods to keep firewood dry. I only plan on putting seasoned wood in the shed at the beginning of every season.
    Backwoods Savage and milleo like this.