Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
I have been itching to build this all year.

Modest in size at least the frame is up!

Plan on adding 2"x4"x8' for support of roof which will be overlapping 1x6x 12" boards

Attachments

• IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 914
Cool!! Another woodshed going up.What are you using for ground support with those 6*6 posts?,Keep the pics rolling!best of luck.

Build on! Scratch that itch...you'll have a bunch of happy little splits. Rick

NO MORE TARPS

Attachments

• 100_0938.JPG
    100_0938.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 907
Thanks for the encouragement

As for the support, we used Sonna tubes down to about 4' filled with quickcrete.

More pics once its all done!

Tom

mainemac said:

Plan on adding 2"x4"x8' for support of roof which will be overlapping 1x6x 12" boards
A nice start! Will enjoy seeing the finished shed.

I've begun with stockpiling salvaged lumber for an eventual woodshed build. Shorter run, I just got 5 free pallets to stack on, and will just put tarps across the tops. Well, you gotta start somewhere. But I sure have enjoyed seeing everyones' woodsheds, and am getting all kinds of good ideas for mine that way.

Hanko I like how you made use of those poles to brace the ends of your wood rolls against the rafters...very clever.

mainemac good luck with your shed...looking forward to the finished project.

mainemac said:

Looks great can you send some pics maybe step by step. I love to use your example, again a good start

savageactor7 said:
Hanko I like how you made use of those poles to brace the ends of your wood rolls against the rafters...very clever.

mainemac good luck with your shed...looking forward to the finished project.

its just plain old unistrut, there is a kick brace screwed to the cement, the other end of the strut is restinfg on the 2X6 rafter,

When laying out your shed, keep in mind from which direction prevailing winds/storms blow in.
It's always good to get the lower end of the roof in that direction to keep wind driven rain/snow from blowing in onto your wood. Also, if you can keep the higher end towards the south, the sun is quicker to dry any wet wood and melt snow away for easier access.

Cluttermagnet said:
I've begun with stockpiling salvaged lumber for an eventual woodshed build. Shorter run, I just got 5 free pallets to stack on, and will just put tarps across the tops. Well, you gotta start somewhere. But I sure have enjoyed seeing everyones' woodsheds, and am getting all kinds of good ideas for mine that way.
The neighbor next door now proposes a 'community' woodshed straddling the property line. If built as a 'duplex', with a central dividing wall and separate access from each side, I think that could work. There has to be some economies in using a common roof and structure (?) I'm now kicking ideas around in my mind, and will discuss it some more later. But I'm leaning towards this idea. Will get my cost down some, I suspect. Oh, we'd build it 'temporary style' up on blocks, I imagine. Finish it in 'natural', drab colors, try to keep a low profile. Not highly visible from the street out front. Might work.

Meanwhile, I will continue to stack on my new 'deck' (five pallets in a row, laid across PT 4x4's).

As added impetus for a real woodshed, I just acquired most of a cherry tree taken down at a neighbors a few miles from here. Real nice, easy splitting half rounds, courtesy of the tree guy. Some so heavy it is a bit of a grunt to lift them. My next door neighbor has access to a 20 ton wood splitter from a friend. Today, Clutter spent six hours splitting cherry and oak in his first ever hydraulic event. I'm no longer a wood splitter 'wannabee'. Couldn't spell it, now I are one. :lol:

I'm sure that cherry is going to need a year or more to season. Now I need a woodshed.

Very nice for sure! You will be very happy this winter when the wind is blowing and you dont have to chase your tarps across the state...

Here are some more pics with the roof on

Best part was a nasty thunderstorm after the roof went on.

Had to slosh out there and check it out, bone dry underneath!!!!!

Ran out of daylight tonight

We almost finished this off: We had the back and one side done, just need to slap the other side up next few days and
then it is time to FILL ER UP!

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 455
I'd raise the ass end up a foot or so, thats one hell of a pitch, but loss of stacking area.

mainemac said:
Here are some more pics with the roof on

We almost finished this off: We had the back and one side done, just need to slap the other side up next few days and
then it is time to FILL ER UP!
Looking good! Hope to see photos of it with the sides on soon.

Hogwildz said:
I'd raise the ass end up a foot or so, thats one hell of a pitch, but loss of stacking area.

Thats up in Maine, they get one foot of snow for every inch we get... :gulp:

Wet1 said:
Hogwildz said:
My first thought as well...

Good Point.
Live and learn........
Not gonna undo all that work at this point, at least the snow will slide off easier

Tom

mainemac said:
Wet1 said:
Hogwildz said:
My first thought as well...

Good Point.
Live and learn........
Not gonna undo all that work at this point, at least the snow will slide off easier

Tom

What is snow?? Oh,oh, forgot, 96/97 5+feet, couldn`t go anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.