Wood Stack Creepy Crawlies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Changing out the sun damaged tarps for winter today and found this not so little guy. Also had 5 mice jump out of a nest. You never know what you'll find in your stacks!

Wood Stack Creepy CrawliesWood Stack Creepy CrawliesWood Stack Creepy Crawlies

Reactions: D8Chumley
I know I have a bumblebee nest in my kindling boxes stashed under a tarp. Saw them when I was stacking wood in the shed. I will wait until colder temps before going in there. It wouldn't surprise me if mice had also taken up residence. These boxes have been there quite a while because I rarely need much kindling burning 24/7. I'll probably give them away this season to others in need.

Pulled the tarp back on one stack that's been tarped since late summer. Found a couple of mouse nests and a fairly good sized snake shed. Fortunately no snake to go along with the shed!

i find snake skins all the time they help keep the mice pop. in check. but for my stacks it's to much for a snake to eat

Reactions: D8Chumley
Ive got some rather large wood spiders crawling around in there, also noticed we had a 'bumper crop" of earwigs this year. Already had to take care of a few on the splits that made it into the house for my first burn of the season.

I sprinkle all of my stacks with borax when I am stacking them. A single 4 lb box can do about 3+ cords. It is extremely effective at killing insects, although you still get mice. You have to get some cats for that.