Wood stacking+heat= major suckage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I was minding my own business yesterday when my FIL stops by and says "I thought we could split some wood!" I think to myself, "Self, this is a rest day in your training and I shouldn't do this but it is a free and eager volunteer." So there we go. We split for about an hour and a half which went fine once I showed him the finer points of splitting and we got a groove down. We ended up with a nice pile and I was dripping sweat in the 88::F heat.

Fast forward to today. The family was gone so I decided to get some stacking done (so some of you will get off my back!;) ) I got everything we split yesterday plus a couple of other piles stacked up to start drying. I estimate a total of about 3/4 cord in 85::F heat.

NO! I'm not posting pictures because you guys have been bugging me to get stacking. You'll get those when I'm done with all of it.

f v

Know how you feel...started moving some wood the other day and it just got nasty hot on me 100 with heat index of 110. Think I am just going to wait for a bit cooler days...

i did the same thing, crazy hot out, probably 32 or 33 above (canada eh silly metric system) had to change shirts twice i was dripping so bad.....but a cold beer on the deck after looking at that wood pile is all worth it.

Reactions: osagebow and ScotO
I hate cuttin in the heat, but being I do tree removal and summer is a very busy time of the year for that activity, you gotta do what you gotta do. We finished cutting several weeks ago so I could finish up my living room project and my buddy could get moved into his new house. Since putting our side work on hold, we've picked up a dozen new jobs. All of them slated to start at the end of October and we'll do them right through the winter. That's my favorite time of the year to cut. Best of all, no leaves to deal with!

We ended up with a nice pile and I was dripping sweat in the 88::F heat....I got everything we split yesterday plus a couple of other piles stacked up to start drying. I estimate a total of about 3/4 cord in 85::F heat.
I've been doing a little hand-splitting and stacking the last couple of days as well. Sounds like similar conditions to what you had. Man, it's humid! ;sick I don't know about you, but over here we've got a bunch of these little gnats that are all over us every time we step outside. They must have hatched with the wet, warm spell we've had. The bites itch for a short time but at least once you come in you quit scratching and there's no sign of the bites. I'm hoping they won't like this cold front that's coming through...
Pics , or it didn't happen ! :)
Yeah, anybody can say they stacked a bunch of wood and sweated their arse off. :p

Pics , or it didn't happen ! :)

Then in your mind it didn't happen....:mad:

Mosquitoes were bad but I sprayed myself some OFF! organic and they didn't me a bit.

They're calling for temps in the 60s this weekend but I've got 12 miles to run tomorrow and that's probably going to be all I have energy for. Besides, I'm really careful with what I do the last few weeks leading up to a race. The last thing I want to do is injure a foot or leg and waste 4 months of training.

fv

Then in your mind it didn't happen....:mad:

Mosquitoes were bad
OK, I'm convinced that it happened. A guy wouldn't fantasize about mosquitos. :)

I've got 12 miles to run tomorrow
If I ran twelve miles, I wouldn't need to start the stove; The heat coming off me would keep the house warm for a day. :ZZZUnless I was dead.

sprayed myself some OFF! organic
What?? There's organic Off?! I am all over that. I hope it's cheaper than the DEET crap...but that wouldn't be a good business model. :rolleyes: I've been using some Avon stuff that I found around here. I'll spray DEET on my boots once in a while if the ticks are bad, but I don't want to put that stuff on my skin.

Reactions: Blue Vomit
OK, I'm convinced that it happened. A guy wouldn't fantasize about mosquitos. :)

If I ran twelve miles, I wouldn't need to start the stove; The heat coming off me would keep the house warm for a day. :ZZZUnless I was dead.

What?? There's organic Off?! I am all over that. I hope it's cheaper than the DEET crap...but that wouldn't be a good business model. :rolleyes: I've been using some Avon stuff that I found around here. I'll spray DEET on my boots once in a while if the ticks are bad, but I don't want to put that stuff on my skin.

I'll still stick to the Thermacell. Much better results.

Sure do, it works great for me.

fv

It's supposed to be a little cooler here this weekend. I hope to get a few hours in cutting and splitting while its cool out.

Suck it up buttercup! Enjoy working with the father in law while you (he) can (I wish I could), and enjoy the benefits of getting that wood done and prepared for next year.

Well done!

Sooo, no pics huh? :p

pen

I've been doing a little hand-splitting and stacking the last couple of days as well. Sounds like similar conditions to what you had. Man, it's humid! ;sick I don't know about you, but over here we've got a bunch of these little gnats that are all over us every time we step outside. They must have hatched with the wet, warm spell we've had. The bites itch for a short time but at least once you come in you quit scratching and there's no sign of the bites. I'm hoping they won't like this cold front that's coming through...

Someone told me they were flying ants, I split some wood the other day after work and I swear I ate about 30 of those little buggers, between the bugs and humidity I quit after 1/4 cord.

I did suck it up! I enjoy every second I can with my FIL, he's a great man.

Air Force Half Marathon~ I'm only half crazy.

fv

Reactions: pen
I hate cuttin in the heat, but being I do tree removal and summer is a very busy time of the year for that activity, you gotta do what you gotta do. We finished cutting several weeks ago so I could finish up my living room project and my buddy could get moved into his new house. Since putting our side work on hold, we've picked up a dozen new jobs. All of them slated to start at the end of October and we'll do them right through the winter. That's my favorite time of the year to cut. Best of all, no leaves to deal with!
And no stinkin' bugs!!

Reactions: ScotO

My apologies, this isn't OFF! it's Cutter Natural. It's all natural oils and i found it works great.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.