Wood Stacking in Wet Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Any problems with stacking wood that has been snowed on and wet?

I will be having my next year's wood delivered on Friday and we are supposed to be getting snow tomorrow and Thursday which means snow on the ground where it will be dumped and the wood will also have snow on it from being out in the snow. We aren't supposed to be getting a lot of snow so I do not want to postpone the delivery.

Figure it can't be too big of a deal as I see many pictures posted here of people cutting and stacking in the snow. People like Backwoods Savage who does all his wood processing in the winter.....

Thanks for any input.

I knock the snow off of dry wood and throw it in the stove. But, I wouldn't take wood off the heap I split this fall and put it in the stove snow covered or not.

perplexed said:
Any problems with stacking wood that has been snowed on and wet?
No problems whatsoever.

Nope -

The only 'problem' is my attitude! I really don't mind the rain. I do mind turning the processing area into a mud bog. Lately I've been accumulaying some bark on the ground and that may keep it firmer. Time will tell.

ATB,
Mike

Let it rain, let it snow. Then wait for the wood to dry on the surface and stack it. That usually does not take long at all.

Perplexed, we are just about ready to start splitting what was cut during the winter. I was back there yesterday and there is not too much snow left so a couple more days and the ground should be bare. Then I'll start splitting. Here is a picture I took back in December of the splitting pile. It grew a little bit after this picture but not a lot:

Wood-4-1.gif

No issues . . . as long as you're not made of sugar and don't mind stacking in the rain. Wet and/or snow covered wood will dry in time with a few nice, sunny and/or windy days.

The rain or snow itself won't hurt. I'll make the distinction with stacking green wood though. I've restacked more than one pile that has partially fallen when the stack shifted while drying/shrinking.

Matt

Thanks for all the replies.

Sun was out today. Temps. in the low 50's. No snow. Perfect day for stacking.

Wood arrived at 10 am and so did my nephew. All wood stacked without a hitch by mid-afternoon. (Nephew has been helping stack our wood for the past 3 years and has benefitted as much as I have from all I have learned here....I pass it all onto him and every year stacking gets more and more efficient - quantity, space and time wise. He commented on how much less I have to order every year now that I know to let wood season for an entire year. First year he stacked I needed 4 cords. Next year 3 cords...This year - 2 cords! DRY WOOD makes all the difference in the world.)

Ready and waiting for next winter.

My concerns about wet weather were unnecessary - happens a lot with our weather predictions here. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.