Wood Stock Progress Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with comments that the PH sips wood. This stove amazes me how much heat it throws with so little wood.
It cannot be smoldered down as low as a BK, but with small hot loads works well in shoulder season.

Did some measuring last night for my future Progress install and it looks like the chimney height would only be a total of 16 feet. The double wall pipe would go straight up (top vent) and stay inside the footprint of the house with around 5' above the roof line (11' inside & 5' outside). Would need extended roof bracket for extra support to roof.

Does this sound like enough draft? The manual says 15 feet minimum, just not sure 16 feet straight up no bends would give the same results others write about on the board.

Leaning towards leaving the Insert in the fireplace (center of house) just for looks and place the PH on the far side of house. House is 2,500 square feet cape with master bedroom on 1st floor opposite side of house as to where the PH would be. Fairly open floor plan with blown in insulation and 3 year old windows.

16' straight up should work fine.

As begreen pointed out and I leaned toward. it is not a fair comparison between an insert and a free standing stove.

Fair or not really matters little if your contemplating between the two. Many of us think about it, but end up going with the insert since they may be more aesthetically pleasing and easier to install (like when no hearth modification is needed). That was the big thing holding me back from freestanding is that I would have to do some major hearth work - well that and the wife didn't want a stove taking up so much space in the living room, so I got the biggest insert that would fit. Then in many cases they just don't quite cut the mustard. Much like Setter Fan mentioned, if your around to reload to keep the thing a bit hotter it was ok, but some of our situation don't allow this or even if they do, it is still a nice feature to not have to keep feeding the fire. It's nice to get up in the morning and just turn the fire up a bit instead of having to reload! Since the [ex] wife was no longer holding me back, freestanding was up for reconsideration, and while it sticks out like a sore thumb I am very glad I did the swap and wish I'd have done it from the get go.

My wife is the same way, she will only put in a few splits at a time. Oh well, at least oil is cheap this year. Did your insert get installed with an insulated block off plate? That can make an appreciable difference.
Mine too but hey, the way she does it, it keeps the house warm and burns down the giant coal beds I create;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.