Wood Stolen! &#!%

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! A 10 gauge! That is some kind of weapon indeed. Best guard that one with your life too!

Thank God we live on a dead end road way out in the sticks. Still have to watch out for thieves, but it isn't the problem that most folks have.

1861 Parker my grand father's father's gun passed down to me. Worth quite a bit. Never pull both triggers at once One you could get a dislocated shoulder
plus you will be picking your a** of the ground. I Must take a picture of it just to show what a real shooting iron it is. I fire it a couple times a year t just to keep it working
I don't Hunt any more besides there is not a whole lot left if birds are too close

Elk, Does it look something like this?

Attachments

• 1493-t.jpg
    1493-t.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 1493b-t.jpg
    1493b-t.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 324
How about an alarm? They make some inexpensive alarms that would probably work with a minimum of modification. I'm picturing the ones that you hang on a door handle, or something that stays silent while the weight of a log holds it down. You could wire up car horn to a cheap 12v lawnmower battery, or get two 6v lantern batteries.

Also tell your neighbors. They'll notice it if it happens again.

Backwoods Savage said:
Problem with most game cameras is they flash....and can be stolen. More expensive than the wood. They have come out with some decent IR cameras now but very expensive. Also, some are junk. If you get one, get a digital. Taking film to get developed and finding nothing on the pictures can get very expensive. With digital, you can use a flash card and get the pics on your computer right away.

Around here plenty of folks have them (me too) and plenty are getting stolen. Last year they came out with a good video trail cam. The neighbor bought one...and it was stolen. I try to not set mine in the open and also do not have them out all the time. For instance, coyote hunters in the winter and turkey hunters this spring and some can have sticky fingers. You simply can not watch all your land all of the time. Sad, but that is the way the world is.

Whatever you do, we do hope you catch the thieves.

I would think the game camera flash would be configurable - after all I can think of lots of reasons a person using one would not want it to flash, like not wanting to spook game. It should also be possible to create an enclosure that would make it pretty theft resistant - even mounting it high enough up not to be easily reached, would probably help, but alternatively some sort of solid box bolted to an immovable object might work. Another option might be a web-cam, they make some fairly cheap units that are exterior mount, and many are even battery powered and wireless... That and a motion sensor light and you can get some great shots of them leaving in a hurry...

I'd also consider doing something harmless but seriously scary - perhaps a pipe with an M-80 in it wired to a sensor - point the pipe up and put a handful of sand in it so that you have "falling pellets" coming down on the perps - nothing like a good "shotgun simulator" to get someone's attention. :coolgrin:

Another option - I'm a bit suspicious of the notion of booby trapping a split with explosives, but what about loading it with smoke bombs, preferably the really stinky kind (If you could get it I would say tear gas, but...) If the perps have a fireplace you'll find them standing outside in the cold - if they have a stove, their neighbors will know... Perhaps let the local FD's in on it so they can let you know when they get the call....

Once you catch the perps, make THEM put up the fence...

Gooserider

Again, great posts and ideas.. Thanks guys... ELK I to collect Parkers, LC Smiths etc... All american of course. Does that 10 GA have twist barrels?

I think I'm gonna start with the motion sensor and maybe a huge light. My dog seems to be useless plus hes on the bed all night not outside.

I spoke to the cops today just so they can be on the lookout for it happening again.

Elk, Nice Parker shotgun. Good luck golfing tomorrow. My league starts next weds. FORE!! :coolsmile: Quick

Doesn't that parker have Damascus barrels?

Good hunting buddy of mine has a similar looking shotgun and it is most definitely damascus.

Corie said:
Doesn't that parker have Damascus barrels?

Good hunting buddy of mine has a similar looking shotgun and it is most definitely damascus.

I agree, Damascus barrels certainly aren't code compliant :coolsmirk:, at least according to everything I've seen on the subject (have to put these things in language Elk is familar with :lol: ) Certainly can't reliably take the pressures of modern powders, and black powder aggravates the corrosion issues that got Damascus rated as less safe than a Vogelzang to begin with...

Gooserider

When I used to drive frequently to CA. there were lots of hijackings. Bought a Mossberg 12 pump short barrel with pistol grip to swing in the cab of the truck. Bought it from the same dealerthat sold to contract haulers for the Fed.Gov. Shortened the spring and carried the max in bird shot and sluggers. Haven't had it out of the safe in 5 years. Scares the chit out of me. Used it one time and all I had to do was rack a round and the feet were fleeting and the tires squealing. I was shaking so bad afterwards, I swore I would never take a special load to CA again. All my neighbors know the story and they know it's in arms reach. I have no problems..... Wonder why????

Before I got married and had childern I had ,quite a few interesting guns I had a combination 22 hornet and 28 ga shotgun over and under 20 ga double barrell Remington great bird gun single shot bolt action 16 ga and a 12 Mosberg pump Rugar 30 caliper German 9 mm officers gun another mosberg 22 30 odd 6 . My wife made me get rid of them all after the kids arrived and the two I kept I removed the firing pins Back then most of the population hunted and these towns trippled in pop since then. That 20 gage was a great skeet gun.

2 ideas here. 2 lb test fishing line hooked up to a pull chain on a light and Same fishing line hooked up to a big cow bell. You can also get fake Video recorder units for about 30 bucks. The little red light ought to keep them away.

Gooserider, you can set the camera to take pictures only in daytime hours. Better yet, the good cameras also have a short video option. Cuddeback and Leaf River are two of the best brands. I have the Cuddeback only because they have the fastest trigger time.

As for mounting the camera high, yes definitely, that is a good option and I have also done this out in the woods. Intentionally mount the camera so one would need a ladder to get at the camera. Tough job mounting and changing cards but a bit theft proof. Problem is that you don't cover as much area for pictures and motion to trigger the picture.

Elk, that is for sure a prize having that shotgun. Guard it well as they are few and far between. I've shot a lot of guns and rifles but never a 10 gauge.

You can also get fake Video recorder units for about 30 bucks.
Warren, you have expensive taste in fakes :exclaim: :bug: - HF sells fake video cameras for $4.49 (Item 94030-3CJB)! They also had a 35mm film camera in one of their other catalogs for $1.99! It would probably take a bit of rigging but wouldn't be that hard to turn it into a game camera that wouldn't be that expensive if it did get swiped - if one really wanted to be devious I'd consider mounting a fake where it was obvious and "begging" to be trashed or swiped, and putting a REAL camera in a better concealed location focused to watch the dummy... Nothing like getting the perps into a "perfect pose" plus I think trashing the "surveillance camera" is grounds for adding to the severity of the crime or getting additional charges (Not sure, IANAL). I wasn't thinking of a big budget camera in any case, more the HF or Sportsman's Guide grade - enough to get a shot or two of the perps, but not something that is going to get a lot of use.

A webcam would have the advantage that if you have it feeding a computer inside, by the time the perps get to it, they are already going to have enough footage shot to make them famous on U-tube.... (And I think some of the webcams are small enough one could hide them inside the "fake" security camera...)

Gooserider

How about posting a sign?"TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT--SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN!"I hope whoever stole your wood has a chimneyfire. >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.