Wood Storage Racks for level surfaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_M

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Central NY
Here are photos of storage racks I built of "treated" lumber for seasoning/storing firewood. All racks have the same basic construction with any differences being in the "longer" or "taller categories. The width of the bottom structure is the same 14" for all indoor and outdoor racks. Note that all the outdoor racks are 5' or 6' singles screwed and/or strapped together for stability. Only screws are used for fasteners.

My experience has been that any racks 4' or LOWER in height can stand alone and do not need doubling-up for stability. However, when the racks are 5' or higher they can become dangerously unstable because a 5' rack is usually stacked to a height of 6' or more. My 6' racks are stacked to 7' or higher. At this height they definitely need doubling-up for safety. Once screwed and "strapped" together they become very stable.

A couple of comments about the indoor racks on casters. 1) The casters must be outside the width of the rack. I learned this the hard way. Note the photos; 2) All casters must be ball bearing unless you are a gorilla; 3) Each rack has two swivel casters on one end and two non-swivel casters on the other end; 4) Racks 4' or shorter should have minimum 4" casters unless you are a gorilla. Racks in the 8' long range must have minimum 5" casters unless you are a gorilla; 5) I prefer the casters with a polyurethane rolling surface; 6) Build the vertical wood holding part of the rack no higher than 5' for stability and ease of loading and unloading wood; 7) Indoor racks can be constructed of standard (non-treated) lumber; 8) Do not place any longitudinal boards on the top sides of the 4' and 5' high racks because you will bang your forehead on them. Guess how I discovered that little factoid; 9) Be very careful where you place the pairs of casters on the racks. The closer the pairs of casters are together, the easier it is to move and steer the rack. However, if you place the pairs of casters too close together, and you unload much of the firewood from one end of the rack, the rack will suddenly and violently tip to the other end, destroying anything and ANYONE in its path. Please don't ask how I discovered this little factoid; 10) I found the best caster placement to be about 1/8 of the way in from each end on 4' - 5' long racks and about 1/6 of the way in from the end on 8' long racks. The casters are a bit too close together on my 6' long rack and about right on the 8'long rack; 11) The 45 deg braces must extend a minimum of half way up the vertical end pieces. 2/3 of the way up is even better.

One picture is worth a thousand words so see below. I humbly hope some of this proves somewhat helpful to those who are contemplating building storage racks.

Best Wishes,

John_M

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 743
I built one of these to move wood around in my basement (wood storage room to stove). It is much smaller though, only about 48" long and 24" high. I went with some el cheapo Harbor Freight casters. Far from smooth but they get the job done. If I was going to do it again I would have spent the $8 and got some better ones.

I am building some metal storage racks right now. Hoping to store 2/3 of a cord per rack with two rows wide. Using a garden tractor to move them into and around the garage.

Thanks for all the advice and time savings on the design. Many of your suggestions were things I was planning to have to "test" myself before this post.

What a great day. Love the casters...that's gotta make life easier when moving things around. Why restack...when you can just move the entire pile.

I built a rack, my first try didnt move, unless your a gorilla, the second try worked better but still not where I wanted it, my next move was to move the casters out to the side like you did. Thanks for posting the pics, you saved me a little time.
Does the 8' move pretty easily? I may just make a 6', the one I have is 4'.

weaherguy,

Even on 5" all ball bearing casters the 8' rack is a real bear to move. In order to move it forward or back I have to start the move with a push to the side just to get it going. Then I can move it forward or back but it still takes great effort. We must take into account that I am 72 years old and my strength is not what it used to be. You young guys can do it much easier, I am sure. :)

My garage is set up so I can drive the Gator so it is touching both racks. This makes refilling the racks very easy and quick. ;-)

John_M

My wife wants to replace me with whoever processes your firewood.

Great idea having casters.
I'm going to add that to my "to-do" list.
#37 - Caster on the wood box.

Thanks for the idea. :)

Solar,
All the wood in the photos was bucked and split by me very slowly (only way I can move) one-piece-at-a-time. It takes me forever to do anything these days.

Please tell your wife she is much better off with you. My darling sister, whom I love dearly, has often told me that "... the three major reasons you've never been married are because you are too old, ugly, and grouchy. No woman in her right mind would ever have you." I guess she believes there are also many minor reasons I have never been married. ;-)

John_M

PS, Sorry I did not reply sooner. We lost all telephone and internet on my road very early Saturday morning. A contractor, who did not order a "line locate" severed a major telephone cable. Service was reactivated about 3:15 PM today.

Status
Not open for further replies.