Wood stove accessory "new" ideas.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since were placing orders, I also want a remote control damper..........now how hard can this be :) .........located on the bottom of the stove, a worm gear drive or "caulk gun" style rod damper with a small motor and gear to simply roll that thing in and out.

It needs to come with a simple remote box (tv type), with low, medium and high settings, then a plus or minus "fine tune" button.

Question: WHY don't they have one of these at least for some of the applicable models of stoves like mine..........where damper rod is on the bottom, away from severe heat, and easy to mount entire motor etc. to bottom of stove.

This would make it so nice to sit in my easy chair and point my remote damper control and watch my fire begin to increase in flames...........what ? Medium is too hot ? Well then just push the "fine tune" plus or minus to get the results in flames you want............. ;-)

This would not be too hard to do I don't think.........a small motor, gear etc. could be used, and of course a "neutral" switch or "manual" over ride to operate the damper by hand maybe located on the remote.

Robbie

I layed out designs for three or four different electrnoic control boxes for woodstoves. To me it seemed they wouldn't be very popular because most people bought stoves to be independent of electricity. Of course the control boxes had bypasses for manual operation. IDK, do you think people would really want it?

Corie, not sure, but I know if I had one on my stove I would use it all the time. Especially since my stove has a blower and is already hooked to 110..........

I have often sat and fine tuned my stove before bedtime, pushing in the damper a fraction.......and waiting to see the results in flame or whatever..........for the last year I have thought how nice it would be to sit in the dark with a remote and just fine tune the damper via an electric motor.

No I'm not that lazy......... :) I just am winding down before bed and would prefer not to have to get up and walk to the stove to open the damper just a hair more.

Maybe it's silly, but I bet if a company had a "premium" model and the damper rod were located on the bottom away from intense heat, and they could somehow incorporate a remote damper control..........I think they would sell really well.

Edit to ad: If nothing else, how about an optional remote feature ? Then all that would be needed is a few pre drilled holes and an extension on the blower cord to accomodate the damper motor.

The damper rod could be pre designed to fit the drive gear after mounting........I would buy one right now ???

Notice my damper rod control on the bottom of my stove in the picture, this would be soooo simple to connect, the remote control would be the hardest part I think.

http://www.warmingtrendsstoves.com/mission_ws.html

Robbie

but wouldn't it be really cool to have a programmable thermostat????

set it for 60 for the night, and then open the damper at 6:00am to warm the house up.

Hey wait. we had that.... on our pellet stove.

drmiller100, yes it would, as long as you still had some wood left in the morning........now if we could get an auto loader to drop a stick of wood in...................... :)

I still think the remote damper over here in USA would be a great thing.

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.