Wood stove "afterburn" questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

J5497

Feb 17, 2016
Mid west
I have a Harman tl300. Everywhere I've read they say when the stove kicks into afterburn it sounds like a jet plane is taking off. Mine does not do this at any temp. I get good overnight burns with a good hot bed of coals in the morning so I think mine is engaged and running right but not sure. Also the temp on my stove top drops significantly once I engage the afterburn, which I get most of the heat now is being sucked into the back for the 2nd re burn. Do I need to have the jet engine sound to know I'm burning properly? Thanks

If the heat is coming from the rear and there is no smoke coming out of the flue then the stove could be running right. Maybe the sound is more related to draft strength?

I'm just guessing here. Years ago we had to run the stove hard when we arrived at the cabin. I would stuff the stove until It would be cranking at 650 degrees. It was a total rolling ball of flames with the intake air whistling. That was the closest I got to a jet engine sound coming from the stove. But no I don't think you need to be doing that.

I just ordered a probe thermometer for the flu. I think that will really shed some light on things.. I also got curious and totally took apart the bricks and exposed the burn chamber. Everything looks really good, all the holes are clear. There were some flakey pieces from the rear of the chamber but I don't think anything enough to replace it.

Maybe the sound is more related to draft strength?
That's a down-draft stove, right? They have been known to 'roar' at times, I think..

That's a down-draft stove, right? They have been known to 'roar' at times, I think..
Yes it's a downdraft, under strong draft they are known to rumble.

What is a down draft?
The smoke is drawn downward through a combustion unit in the back/bottom of the box...what they call "FireDome" in your stove.